a very productive visit

Guest paul y

paul and countless other rare sarracenia at prices you lot wouldn't believe?  Certainly not on this forum.

Can't say I understand how this works.  You find Carnivorous Plant growers better on Facebook than on CPUK, Nepenthes Forum and ICPS Forum?  I would think you find them at Carnivorous Plant sites...?

I think people from other countries might be using Facebook differently, as I feel it is a very anti-social "networking" site.  After while the people using it start seeming a bit slow.  But that might be because Americans are socialized in many anti productive ways as children (the baby sitting TV is a good one for brain rot)...

Can't say I understand how this works.  You find Carnivorous Plant growers better on Facebook than on CPUK, Nepenthes Forum and ICPS Forum?  I would think you find them at Carnivorous Plant sites...?

I think people from other countries might be using Facebook differently, as I feel it is a very anti-social "networking" site.  After while the people using it start seeming a bit slow.  But that might be because Americans are socialized in many anti productive ways as children (the baby sitting TV is a good one for brain rot)...

in answer I find the international carnivorous plant groups on facebook to be a lot friendlier and a lot more productive in terms of sales and trades than this forum, I also find it a lot easier to use as its in my pocket via my phone which also has a good camera on it and its childs play to post photos comment buy sell and trade, i see posts from growers all over the world daily, from Mexican pings in mexico to neps from and actually in borneo to California carnivores updates, conservation groups to well known growers latest creations and that one happens a lot it goes on and on,

like ive said before facebook is just a tool and if like me you use it solely for carnivorous plant growing then it is a very useful tool, it just needs to be tuned very finely to your needs and if someone regularly posts stuff that annoys you just block them and they are gone like they never existed.

just choose your friends wisely, join as many groups as you can and actually participate and post stuff and comment and just watch the results it can bring.

i also recommend that if any friends and family ask if you are on facebook just tell them no

it isn't just money and blood that will not mix

paul

The reason why I prefer facebook over the forum is it is much more friendlier and personal. The forum I find way too aggressive and cumberson.

Facebook is live/real time I can chat with as many people as I want at the same time if required and over the years I have made some lovely friends. I can up load pictures in seconds from my iPad to my own picture folders or group folders,no up loading to flickr and copy and pasting ,which doesn't work on my iPad so I do not bother with the forum.I can share pictures instantly whilst chatting which I cannot do on here.

With these online friends I have now made many swaps, sales and can promote my ebay sales with no issues. And building friends on facebook i have had access to many rare plants offered with hesitation.

The Internet has changed the world so much and will do in the future, the older generation will pass on whilst the younfer generation will carry on accepting a more social Internet. Hopefully forums will catch up and be less basic.

I used to use FB a lot when I was a student but went off it as it slowly became a stage for people to spout rubbish and play out all the mundane elements of their lives.  That being said I went back on a few weeks ago and found the block button (which is now having a well earned rest!!) but also started looking at some of Paul's pictures and am going to start putting some of mine on their too.  I do struggle getting pics on here, I'm a pretty big techotard and every time I work it out Flickr changes!!

But to push this talk off topic I will say that I too went down to see Alistairs and it really is eye opening.  More importantly after going to Mike Kings and Les Burdetts, it really is good how much info people are prepared to share with you with respect to how, where and why they grow their plants the way they do.  You also begin to see that there are many ways of getting very good results.

• Like 1

I would like to add, if you believe sending me a friend request on facebook with messages practically begging me for asbo at prices well below what I paid or what Alistair is charging will just be ignored.

I don't know you, I definitely don't owe you anything and why would you believe that sending me a fr and trying pathetically to ingratiate yourself into my "good books" is anything less than pathetic and just plain sad.

if you want asbo contact and ask Alistair or join mikes waiting list, those that I consider friends or people who have actually done something for me have already been told and they have already got theirs.

why would I go out of my way to help those that I don't know?, have done nothing for me and in a lot of cases on this forum proven themselves time and again to be the sort of person I wouldn't urinate on if they were on fire.

if you want asbo ask Alistair, join mike waiting list or join mine or someone elses.

and be prepared to pay upwards of £35-40 for a division.

paul

• Like 1

im wondering just what will happen if I import legacy and don't keep my mouth shut,

i got a tip on the asbos, followed it up and managed to get mine in person, once i had made Alistair aware that a fair number of people were after it we agreed for me to do a little shout out to help sell the plants Alistair had, i told those nearest and dearest as it were on facebook and just knew they were going to sell.

i had a lot of messages about it very quickly and just pointed them all to Alistair.

if anyone wants asbo please contact Alistair at little shop of horrors in devon, use the contact form on his website and be prepared to pay upwards of £35 for a division

limited stock that has most likely sold out already.

paul

Can people list exactly which pages they use on Facebook so that I can figure out if I've managed to get myself on the right ones? I always love getting updates from people that are excited about their plants, so more on my news feed will definitely be welcome! Because, personally, I have found it easier to learn about events and general goings on via these forums, that and physically attending events within the uk, so maybe I'm missing something on Facebook

heres an idea, came to me in the shower which isn't unusual, ideas I mean showers are daily.

how about a cpuk facebook page, closed group so you need to be a forum member to join, so it is linked to this forum so anything that gets posted on the fb page also displays on this forum.

it would bridge the gap between the two and be a good update and feature for ths forum, other fb groups that are relevant can also be included, any requests to join can be told to join this forum first thus increasing members, tbh the feature it could bring and the doors it will open will be a lot.

I know nothing about the technical side of this and will probably be told it cant be done which I wont believe,

if we can put man on the moon with computers that don't have 1000th of the processing power of my tds meter then I will not believe that this cant be done.

personally I think its the best of both worlds

whats everyones thoughts?

andy make it so!

• Like 1

That's a pretty good sounding idea actually Paul, but how it would look and work i have no idea. I just did a quick search and i found this FB plugin for IP Board > Facebook Connect 3 but the description is a bit vague and it sounds like all it really does is sync your login. Doesn't sound like it would automatically post FB posts on here too ? I dunno. But from my experience, site admins can get a bit huffy when you start requesting plugins. :laugh1:

It's a great idea Paul but I have a feeling it can't be done.  The reason being FB doesn't give admins the chance to get into the code of a group.  

Ditto, I think Richard has nailed it - the issue being the authentication...if however, the said FB page was made publically available then embedding the stream using this http://goo.gl/0B93sz process would be straight forward to deploy and give a live feed in the relevant CPUK page, however, its still one-sided; to 'sync' bi-directionally might be possible somehow, but would almost certainly require a fair degree of coding, err site hacking to setup and configure at the detriment of annoying FB admins and possible suspension, so in short probably not worth the whole world of pain it would create...LOL