Hello from Tyneside

jim3rg

Hello

I am going to start growing Venus Fly Traps again, I grew one from seed a long while back and it lasted untill it was 2 years old before it finaly gave up the ghost.

I was feeding it tap water and meal worms but I know now this was the wrong thing to do. I live in a high rise apartment now and dont have much room for plants. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some distilled water from in the tyneside area. Also I notices that my local Homebase sell Venus Flytrap plants and I was wondering what I should look out for.

Thanks for reading folks.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum, you might be better buying a vft from a better source, the ones in homebase etc are often mistreated and can suffer from it and be more of a rescue project.

As for distilled water I'm not sure I collect rain water for mine. But from reading on here aquarium shops do RO (Reverse Osmosis) Water that is technically distilled water.

Simon

Thank you for the replies. I will check Tesco and the like for distilled water, I think there are a few garden centres around here and a nursery.

Thanks for the information about Homebase, do you have any sugesstions where I could get new plants from or even seeds?

Jim

Try on here in the sales section but most english growers will be going dormant now, so maybe wait till spring. seeds are available and you could start them off in winter. There are also some good carnivorous sales websites.

• Like 1

Distilled water can be purchased from the 'car care' aisle in the supermarket or at Halfords.  Only buy a VFT from Homebase on the day they come in as they wouldn't be quite so neglected at that stage.  Welcome to the forum by the way.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello folks

It's been a while since I last posted but I lurk often so I thought it best to post in this thread.

I was out at Homebase today pricing up paint etc and near the checkout were some house plants I spotted these guys on their own looking sorry for themselves so I rescued them.

20hsejd.jpg

I got them home then realised I have no distilled water or pots or carniverous plant compost, I think they will need repotting ASAP. What do you folks think?

Jim

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum!

I think they look like they've come from a DIY shop but not to worry - I'm sure you'll have them in tip top condition by summer.

In addition, I live in Durham so if you need a hand repotting or want some new plants I have quite a few for sale.

BW,

Brendan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Brendan

I have some compost on the way already, I do need to hunt down a couple of suitable plant pots. My bro is near halfords so he is going to pick up some distilled water. They did indeed come from Homebase and I will give it my best shot at providing some much needed TLC.

Thanks for the offer, I may pick yoir brains from time to time.

Jim