Hi,

Recently I moved a large number of my plants into a grow tent on my basement. Most of them Heliamphora's, Drosera's and Utricularia's. Most of them have been growing quite nicely outside during summer (partly shaded during the brightest parts of the day), others were in a non-heated mini-terrarium.

So, about a month ago they were transported into the basement for the obvious reasons of having a constant drop in the temperatures during the night, when the lights are off.

The grow tent has 4 x 24W T5HO lights (2 x 865, 2 x 840), about 50 or 60 cm above the substrate. This also gives a rise in temperatures to about 26°C, with a drop in during the night to 16°-17°C, during summer, a bit lower during winter.

Humidity is not measured, but really high. Most plants are colouring like crazy. The drosera's are red-maroon, with lots of dew. The Heliamphora's aren't complaining either. The Utricularia's however, are wilting (quelchii, jamesoniana, reniformis, campbelliana). I allready moved the U. longifolia in the least brightest part of the tent, because the leaves were yellowing en drying at the ends. Since then the longifolia is looking better, but it's the other ones that really concern me.

Are the T5HO's too powerful? (I used these above aquaria, which generaly use more powerful lighting) or are the plants just getting used to different conditions?

Thanks in advance!

In my experience, t5ho are very hot, even to touch. I had fan blowing at my t5fixtures to cool it down, u might want to use heat sink on the fixture out of the tent or use a ventilation fan blow out of the tent, or use aircon.

Treat your tent like a computer case, get heat out.

Edited by tish

I think it is the light.

Just recently changed the lighting to LED (from a single 25w T8) and my U. alpina leaves started bleaching within a week. Nothing else had changed (temp. controlled, plant in same position). I have hidden it now behind a large leafy plant in the hope that it will turn green again.

When I first got it I made the same mistake in giving it too much light with the same result. Odd that the leaves turned green again in the shade. Thought that I had lost them.