Some location Ceph collection seedlings and others....'.

dimitar

Cephalotus Squat - USA clone. The slowest clone that I ever had for rooting...

10703483_730249437012632_109908674_o.jpg

Cephalotus Triffid Park Nursery Australia - seed grown....

10707758_730217587015817_1228381595_o.jp

Cephalotus Mike's super fast Australia - seed grown....

10708258_730249430345966_530488398_n.jpg

Cephalotus Gull Rock Road  - seed grown ....

10705166_730219223682320_598181149_n.jpg

Cephalotus Frenchman Bay  - seed grown ...

10592812_728716007165975_243267353827173

Cephalotus Notrhcliffe - seed grown ....

10708469_730212857016290_646429322_n.jpg

Cephalotus Two Peoples Bay - seed grown ....

10519651_728381690532740_156039650331593

Cephalotus Coal Mine Beach - seed grown ....

10521530_706797676024475_510548282951987

Coal mine beach - seed grown ....

10698309_730201293684113_1861418895_o.jp

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 5

Nice plants Dimitar. Mine have some way to go to catch up with yours. Here are my location and location hybrids:

15227362586_16656ae148_n.jpgGull Rock Road by Carl Leach, on Flickr

15063800368_07f799aa54_n.jpg2PB x CMB by Carl Leach, on Flickr

15063591819_9eec20dc36_n.jpg2PB by Carl Leach, on Flickr

15247258171_2c8eb2ef24_n.jpgBig Donk x self by Carl Leach, on Flickr

15250352825_71e8fff705_n.jpgCoal Mine Beach by Carl Leach, on Flickr

15063665590_b9e6f12391_n.jpg2PB x Sand Site Northcliffe by Carl Leach, on Flickr

Non-location and by far the fastest to germinate out of all the others:

15063798458_75f9c9996c_n.jpgMike's Super Fast x self by Carl Leach, on Flickr

• Like 2

nice  job  Carl  and  Dimi , hope  mikes SF ,  holds to its name  can only wait and see .

so  there is  no  misunderstanding with  Mikes super fast .

My friend here in  Adelaide AU has  a good number of original Hummer plants, not  like the ones  on  the market today that are  different ,another story!,   any how  Mikes hummers  flowered and got pollinated by insects and with  several other  different  ceph plants around  cross pollinated we presume, the seed he got from  1 particular  lot , grew  from seed germination in 2 grow seasons to have  pitchers  up to 6 or so cm  pitchers , ,hence the name  Mikes super fast , and yes its  one  that I am flowering again  right now  only 1 or  3 or 4   out of  many  this year I will let flower . its consistently  has larger than normal pitchers in  my growing conditions.

• Like 1

My friend here in  Adelaide AU has  a good number of original Hummer plants, not  like the ones  on  the market today that are  different ,another story!

Hmmm, here I'm not quite sure... However,  is it appropriate in that case those plants in Oz to be called HG since that name belongs to John Hummer and his cultivar?

The only way to know with absolute certainty that you have the genuine 'Hummer's Giant' is if you can trace it back to the original plant that much the plant registered in ICPS. While there may be speculation that it came from a bunch of rhizomes that 'might' be for the same plant, or other plant material that 'might' be from the same source, this is not known for sure, nor will it ever be in my opinion.

John Hummer registered a particular plant with particular characteristics. It is this plant that is the registered cultivar. It is therefore logical to conclude that only plants vegetatively propagated from that particular plant, or its immediate lineage from which it was vegetatively propagated from, are the only ones that can truly be 'Hummer's Giant'. So,  if you can not trace back your plant to the actual plant described in the cultivar description then there is no guarantee that it is genuine...

You cannot say that 'Hummer's Giant' exists in cultivation in Australia unless John Hummer sent a vegetatively propagation plant or material from the registered cultivar plant back there, or unless the actual genuine plant that 'Hummer's Giant' was vegetatively propagated from can be identified there. I have seen no evidence of this.

On the same lines, I have seen no evidence that the plant named 'Hummer's Giant' grown within the UK, or elsewhere in EU has any direct lineage to the actual plant John Hummer registered. This of course is with the possible exception or recent material arriving from Charles Brewer...

• Like 2

The only way to know with absolute certainty that you have the genuine 'Hummer's Giant' is if you can trace it back to the original plant that much the plant registered in ICPS. While there may be speculation that it came from a bunch of rhizomes that 'might' be for the same plant, or other plant material that 'might' be from the same source, this is not known for sure, nor will it ever be in my opinion.

John Hummer registered a particular plant with particular characteristics. It is this plant that is the registered cultivar. It is therefore logical to conclude that only plants vegetatively propagated from that particular plant, or its immediate lineage from which it was vegetatively propagated from, are the only ones that can truly be 'Hummer's Giant'. So,  if you can not trace back your plant to the actual plant described in the cultivar description then there is no guarantee that it is genuine...

You cannot say that 'Hummer's Giant' exists in cultivation in Australia unless John Hummer sent a vegetatively propagation plant or material from the registered cultivar plant back there, or unless the actual genuine plant that 'Hummer's Giant' was vegetatively propagated from can be identified there. I have seen no evidence of this.

On the same lines, I have seen no evidence that the plant named 'Hummer's Giant' grown within the UK, or elsewhere in EU has any direct lineage to the actual plant John Hummer registered. This of course is with the possible exception or recent material arriving from Charles Brewer...

This is why I keep my giants only labelled as "Giant", even though I am told they are supposedly from the same material as the HG.  That is the label they to me came under and I can find no firm evidence to say they came from John Hummer even though they were distributed around the time that he sent out material. 

Hummer's material came from Adelaide, so it may be the case that material from the same plant is still here, but with those who could confirm this having died, I only see speculation at this point.  I would love to be able to say otherwise.

That said, "Giant" certainly grows similarly in good conditions.

• Like 1

Hi Mark, just wondering who you acquired the Giant from ?

It was supplied to VCPS via Paradisia Nurseries, when one of our members, who has since died, was working there.  It is my understanding that Paradisia simply supplied the place to cultivate it from the material that was received.  They believe it to be from the HG stock, before it was granted cultivar status, but cannot prove it.  Allen Lowrie told me that he heard that it came from John Hummer's material (or possibly from the material John Hummer was sent), but again he cannot confirm it. 

Quite a few of us grew it, but it seems that mine is the only survivor of what was sent to us.  Where else the same material was sent I have not heard. 

• Like 1

It was supplied to VCPS via Paradisia Nurseries, when one of our members, who has since died, was working there.  It is my understanding that Paradisia simply supplied the place to cultivate it from the material that was received.  They believe it to be from the HG stock, before it was granted cultivar status, but cannot prove it.  Allen Lowrie told me that he heard that it came from John Hummer's material (or possibly from the material John Hummer was sent), but again he cannot confirm it. 

Quite a few of us grew it, but it seems that mine is the only survivor of what was sent to us.  Where else the same material was sent I have not heard. 

Thanks Mark, your info is much appreciate. 

Hummer's material came from Adelaide, so it may be the case that material from the same plant is still here, but with those who could confirm this having died, I only see speculation at this point.  I would love to be able to say otherwise.

It makes absolutely no difference as to where that original plant comes from - Oz, UK , Bulgaria, Spain etc... The cultivar description describe a particular plant so that plant is the cultivar. The only truly genuine one is the one actually described...

No other can be guaranteed genuine unless it can be traced back to that one particular plant described

The only truly genuine one is the one actually described...

No other can be guaranteed genuine unless it can be traced back to that one particular plant described

The  only way to know you've got the real deal.  Tracing it back ain't easy sometimes but it is worth the trouble.