Senate Bill 734: STATEWIDE VENUS FLYTRAP PENALTIES

Hi not sure if your all aware but there is a online petition to support the above senate bill which will give bigger penalty's to the people poaching or destroying wild VFT sites in north and south Carolina.

Heres the link

https://www.change.org/p/gov-patrick-mccrory-support-and-pass-section-52-of-senate-bill-734-statewide-venus-flytrap-penalties#

I'm sure you'll all feel like me this is something that needs supporting.

thanks manders,

just re-read my comment and removed it due to its spelling mistakes. I've still signed the petition but my illiteracy wont be seen. shame I couldn't just have corrected it.

Edit - it will let me post another I'll make sure its without spelling mistakes this time

Edited by Simon B

thanks manders,

just re-read my comment and removed it due to its spelling mistakes. I've still signed the petition but my illiteracy wont be seen. shame I couldn't just have corrected it.

Edit - it will let me post another I'll make sure its without spelling mistakes this time

Wasn't getting at you in particular Simon, it seemed like the whole page of signatures had loads of errors.

Signed it as well.

I know you wasn't getting at me particularly. but when I went back to see what you had seen I saw two mistakes in my comment alone  :wall3:

ever increasing punitive or custodial sentences do little if anything to prevent a crime from taking place, the threat of losing your life has never prevented a crime nor has life imprisonment.

I'd suggest a more intelligent and productive punishment.

Anyone caught poaching plants will be sentenced to five years of planting, protecting and dedicating their time to protecting what they tried to steal in the first place, the cost of their otherwise incarceration which would be several thousand dollars a week gets diverted into managing the offender, the site, propagation materials and a big angry armed guard to make sure the thieving scrote stays on track.

Five years later the site is pristine has millions more plants and the offender is sick to his back teeth of vfts and wouldn't want to go near them again.

And USA should be working hard to reduce their prison population not increase it

USA 2% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prison population.

Oh America the land of the free

• Like 2

Sounds good to me, sounds like VFT community service you steal or damage habitats you repair the damage done by all your fellow criminals till its all put right.

I've signed too, I do however wonder how much weight non-US citizen signatures have.

ever increasing punitive or custodial sentences do little if anything to prevent a crime from taking place, the threat of losing your life has never prevented a crime nor has life imprisonment.

I'd suggest a more intelligent and productive punishment.

I agree and think this should apply to more than just plant poaching, however, at least this petition and bill will bring some public attention to the plight of Dionaea.

Edited by notostracan