Nepenthes ampullaria, volunteers welcome. first seedling appeared

matwag

Yesterday I received some mixed N ampullaria seed from a a well known auction site whose seller I believe has mixed feedback from reading some of your comments on this forum. With this in mind and having sown all that I need I thought some of you might like to have a try with this batch of seed also and ultimately compare results later on. If anybody would like to have a go with the surplus seed then just send me a pm, it won't cost you anything except your time but please note due to postage costs I can only send within the UK unless postage is paid before hand.

Best wishes :)

Matwag

Edited by matwag
  • Like 1

Hello, there are a couple of packets still available if you fancy having a go:) each one contains approximately 50 seeds. Pm me if you're interested in giving them a try.

Best wishes Matwag

• 3 weeks later...

I got 2 tiny ones i spotted this morning! I have to admit i bought these seeds expecting to get nothing but mold so all in all i'm happy to see some germination. I guess i should be less skeptical in future :P

I got 2 tiny ones i spotted this morning! I have to admit i bought these seeds expecting to get nothing but mold so all in all i'm happy to see some germination. I guess i should be less skeptical in future :P

So far so good then, though admittedly I have had a couple go mouldy but removed them straight away :)

Best wishes Matthew

Just a thought, but what kind of air circulation do you have for your seedlings, TC ? I've seen a few posts from you know in various thread about your seed mould problem and i think there's definately something up here, as no doubt you're aware. In the first year i've been growing nepenthes, i've had a few trays of various seedlings on my south facing windowsill last summer, and in the greenhouse this summer. But i've never seen a hint of mould yet, touch wood. In my flat, the windows were often open to create a breeze, and now in the greenhouse i have a large fan on 24 hours circulating the air. I've got seedlings growing in pure dried sphag, fresh sphag, and my usual chunky orchid bark/charcoal chips/live sphag potting mix. I've not sown any nep seeds in peat yet, but the only issues i've noticed so far was seeds sown in coir developed green slime algae that were suffocating the seedlings so i repotted them in dried sphag and 4 or 5 have manged to survive (lowii x veitchii).

But there's more to it than just circulating stale air, you need some fresh coming in or it isn't going to help the problem.

• Like 1

I've set up a fan in my terrarium/grow box recently made from an old PC fan so this might have more to do with the lack of mold i have experienced with my recent seedlings welshy :) air circulation was something that took me a while to realize the importance of, especially in seed germination. I wish i had addressed this sooner as i had a batch of N. flava seeds and out of 25 seeds i have 4 seedlings left due to poor air circulation when the germination rate was actually good but they got over taken by mold. I think i have this sorted now though.

• Like 1

What you're saying makes a lot of sense Welshy as I've sown half of the seed in tiny improvised propagators and the other half have been sown in a hanging pot inside the terrarium both on finely chopped sphagnum moss, all are sharing a common light source and are at the same temperature but the germination rate inside the terrarium so far is now 5 times higher at 15 seedlings compared with those in the propagators which are ventilated twice a day. I've had absolutely no mould at all within the terrarium which has a fan on 24/7 compared to about 10 mouldy seeds inside the propagators which get removed straight away. I know it's too early to be able to draw conclusions so early on but they're interesting observations to note so far :)

• Like 1