Planter Bog Garden

Simon B

Hi Everyone, 

Looking to get a bog garden planter prepared over the winter. at the moment just planning ahead I've seen two plastic planters made to resemble wooden barrels that I'm interested in but a bit worried about the depths.

First planter

291166156626_1.jpg

63cm diameter 34cm depth

Second Planter

m9e2-0gDHh3i0WuEYiK7IJA.jpg

49cm Diameter 25cm depth

I've read that I would need at least 12" to 14" of depth ?

I won't be putting an up turned pot in it, just a thin level of inert stone (questions about that later) and a pipe to measure the water level.

I'm a bit set on the second planter because I could get two for the cost of one of the first planter but is the depth to shallow ?

next question Inert Stone or stones that won't cause a problem where could I get these from only need a small amount about an inch at the bottom. is it possible to get pebbles gravel from a diy shop ? or has anyone thought of glass beads ?

Hope you guys can help

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have not built an outdoor bog yet but with my S. Brooks Hybrid hitting the roof of my greenhouse this year it may well be finding itself outdoors from now on.

25cm is still 10". I would personally try it but the larger the mass of wet compost the less easily it will dry out so I couldn't say yay or nay for certain (where would you buy that from out of interest?).

As far as inert stones go you could buy 'quartzite' stone if you can find it or green/pink granite gravel. Flint gravel would also be inert but avoid those lovely creamy coloured gravels which are limestone!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve

With the depth I thought it was to do with root depth not just the mass of medium.

Was your question about the planters or my medium.

Well the majority of my medium was going to be a peat/perlite mix. (I have about 80ltrs of each at the moment that should be plenty.) 

The planters are on eBay at the moment I'll pm you the links if you like.

Simon

Hi Simon

The 10" will work OK, but you will have to be wary of where you put any drain holes, if indeed you were intending to put any in. The only reason is that in planters like this, the plants tend to sit in deeper water than if say you were using the tray method (unless you have the holes an inch or two from the bottom of course), which can cause either anaerobic conditions or if there is a lot of water for long periods, total lack of oxygen to the roots, neither of which you want to encourage as plants keel over and die.

So, yes you can, but you may negate what for me is one of the major benefits of bog growing, i.e. not having to water so frequently. 

If you do use the shorter ones may I suggest a vertical row of 'corks' up the back of the back or hidden part of the planter so you can regulate the level easier.

Good luck with the project, once you start you will probably find room for more planters!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by billynomates666

Thanks Steve,

Could you explain the cork idea I Don't understand. 

I am going to put a vertical piece of plastic waste pipe running from top to bottom. near the back so I can visually see the water level in the planter.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon

The tube is a good idea and you can (if necessary) syphon water out via that if you want, but it is at best clumsy and unless your ground falls away from the pot, not always easy to get the syphon running continually, leading to many mouth fulls of very strange tasting water.

So on some of mine I just drilled a series of holes up the back of the planter, where the tube is, so it stops the soil coming out, at 2" centres ish and stuck wine corks cut in half in the holes, that way you can pull them out or push them in to give you anything from a full inundation, to empty or just wet for dormancy outside. They tend to release the water slowly after a while as the holes bung up, but that is all the better as it retains the water longer.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve,

that's a good idea, still thinking lots of things over on this one but will be posting back on here when I get started building

Simon