Is this Victoria Morley?

Reinier

Hello everyone,

Recently I bought this beautiful Sarracenia hybrid on the flower market in Amsterdam (comes from the Carniflora nursery).

Normally I don't like buying plants if I can't be sure of the name, but this one I simply could not resist.

I went trough hundreds of pictures of Sarracenia hybrids online and in this forum and the only one which comes close so far seems to be 'Victoria Morley'.

There aren't too many pictures of it around so it makes it difficult to be sure (if one can ever be sure).

It's a very vigorous grower and continously shoots up new picthers. It produced two flower buds since I bought it almost 3 months ago.

The pitchers start quite lightly coloured, then rapidly turn red and the older they become become almost maroon coloured.

Here are the pictures:

gallery_9149_891_31064.jpg

gallery_9149_891_52417.jpg

gallery_9149_891_64765.jpg

Anyone who is also growing this hybrid?

Best regards,

Reinier

Edited by Reinier
  • Like 1

It is what on this forum by some have been refered to as "one of those stupid Dutch hybrids"

They are produced by the acre by Carniflora and the product of so many crosses that even Rene (the owner of Carniflora) couldn't tell you exactly what is in the mix (hence stupid Dutch hybrid).

They are selected for just 3 things: to look good to most of the public, to be dead easy to grow even in the house and not get too high so it won't mess up it's growing spot if you have it on a balcony or windowbox.

In other words and don't get me wrong: It is a nice plant if you are not interested to much in the bloodline of your plants, it is rather cheap and strong so a good plant for someone who is just learning to grow these plants but I doubt if even advanced genetics will be able to tell what it's actually made off. Carniflora sells a couple of pure/"known" plants but most of it is "unknown hybrid nr. 3001"

(unless Stephen wants to correct me and suprise me with the announcment that this is really the namesake of his better half :Laie_97: )

Edited by Marcel van den Broek

Hi Marcel,

This is really helpfull information.

I actually even emailed a picture to Carniflora with the same request and I received a response saying it's 'S. leucophylla', which is strange because it obviously isn't.

I will then most likely just have to come to terms with the fact I will never know the correct name for sure.

Perhaps I should just label it 'Stupid Dutch Hybrid' then :-)

Reinier

Hi Reinier,

I can't help with the identification but it's a lovely looking plant. Sarracenia SDH it may be but with vigor, good colouration and stocky looking growth it's a keeper!

I can see your labeller lurking behind there 'SDH' but nice!

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks all for your help,

I will surely keep it and label it 'Carniflora clone' (well spotted the labeller). If it gets too big and needs dividing in 1-2 years I can drop a post to see if anyone is interested in a piece of it.

Pardon my french but which Sarracenia is 'SDH'? I googled it but no results is it an abbreviation?

Regards,

Reinier

Edited by Reinier

Guest paul y

Hi Stephen I would like to let you know, named clones are always on my list, said list gets smaller every week, pm me with whatever you have available.

I'm always buying, much prefer to get a v Morley from the man who made it.

Looking for any sarracenia, vfts drosera pings and cephs and seed

Regards paul

I googled the (not very many) pictures available of 'S. x 'Juthatip Soper' x leucophylla' and the resemblance is remarkable.

Look like we have a winner!

Thanks Mike