A noob, and a little worried :-s

Hey :-)

Am a little worried about my little seedlings..

We have been having very.. Erratic weather lately.. Not much sun, and only due to get colder in the next weeks.. Am worried about my little ones either entering hibernation or well just plain out dying..

They arnt that old only like 10 weeks (ish) and are still pretty small.

Should I bring them inside ? I mean I know they don't usually come inside until like oct but Britain is a crappy place especially when it comes to weather ?

I have capensis, binata (only a few), spatulata, intermedia (don't think these seedlings have grown though) and a vft.. Well 2 seedlings to be precise (although these don't seem to really be growing).

What do you guys think ?

Matt

Hi Matt

They'll be fine. Dormancy is natural anyway.  Some of those plants (intermedia and Dionaea) MUST have it.  You probably should have sown them earlier.  I'm not sure if you have the tropical intermedia or the temperate one.  Likely the temperate.  In which case they could well germinate next year.  I'm not sure if intermedia requires cold stratification or not.

Intermedia isn't growing I don't think :-p (as in is prob not gonna)

I wasn't thinking all winter more of like putting them under heat/light till oct.. Then back out into the greenhouse for the winter.. Just don't want them going dormant this soon...

Yeah should have prob planted sooner but didn't get them till late (they are my 1st lot)

Just don't want them dying on me :-( cause they are pretty small still atm..

Matt

.... Britain is a crappy place especially when it comes to weather ?

When you get more experience you will discover that we have a perfect climate for growing many carnivorous plants. Ones that others in the plants' native countries struggle with.

The main Drosera that you are worried about do not have a natural hibernation in habitat, in fact they are mainly invasive weeds in a collection. Depending on the winter we have:-

1. Last years winter, 2013-14 would see them all in almost pristine condition,

2. The winter of 2010-11 would see them most  likely killed,  with the odd ones popping back up.

3. Somewhere in between, the more likely they would just be reduced to the roots.and growing back up over spring.

It's still summer. these plants will still be growing, leave them out in the greenhouse ( I assume they are in a greenhouse) until we are forecast frosts. Then choose to leave out or put under lights.

I have many plants of D. capensis and D. spatulata that went to -18C in 2010 - 11, 15C is a good growing temperature. Stop worrying you'll never be short of those two. At worst just ask if anyone has spare on here and stand back from your letter box