Sign in to follow this  
manders

Drosphyllum problem.

Sowed some early this year, germinated easily and now have four in one pot. Anyway the seem to be a little leggy and one has now flowered, another will follow. Theyre growing in good light but not direct sunlight (inside a greenhouse behind 25mm polycarb). Would they be better outside? Will the flowering ones die?

I got my wife to move my seedlings from the sunny living room window to the greenhouse (lots of sun) and they all died. Photo-shock I presume. So if you're going to move them outside do it gently.  Peter D'Amato has grown a Droso outdoors all winter many years ago, snow and ice included.

Hi,

Mine bloomed twice and are always alive. They had one year. There are in full sun in my greenhouse.

Best regards

Anthony.M

Moved mine out into the garden and theyre doing well, the premature flowering ones are now growing lots of side shoots.

Here in Derbyshire I found mine (grown from seed) grew better outdoors than the greenhouse during Spring to Autumn when they could catch plenty of insects. They also survived the winter being left outside but I don't think this helped there overall condition and would probably have been better overwintered in the greenhouse.