Sign in to follow this  
Cromp

Wild Utric

I spent 10 days in France, in the vicinity of Verdun, exploring wildlife.

Thursday we found this shallow pond:

Groeiplaats_U.jpg

With an aquatic utric in it:

Utricularia_australis2.jpg

Utricularia_australis8.jpg

Utricularia_australis9.jpg

I'm not sure whether this is U. australis or U. vulgaris. Can anyone tell me?

I don't know excactly which species it is - looks more like U. australis for me but I can say for sure that the photos are very nice!

Cheers,

Markus

Guest Rubra

I beleive that is u. vulgaris, as it doesn't seem to have a flotation thing. Many aquatic utrics seem to have the yellow flowers with brown-red veinetion (sp?). I can't tell the difference between the leaves of my u. foliosa and u. bremii. Does anyone else know a way to identify utrics by their leaves?

Peter

I beleive that is u. vulgaris, as it doesn't seem to have a flotation thing. Many aquatic utrics seem to have the yellow flowers with brown-red veinetion (sp?). I can't tell the difference between the leaves of my u. foliosa and u. bremii. Does anyone else know a way to identify utrics by their leaves?

Peter

There are only a few species of Utric that produce a float. Most other free floating aquatics just branch vigorously at the point of the bud.

Without seeing pictures of both i couldn't tell you if it was U. Australis or vullgaris.

it is diificult to be certain of identity without seeing more details. distinguishing characters, according to Taylor, include the 'leaf' segment bristles (under a microscope), the flower spur shape and the distribution of glands on the spur. two characters of the flowers which are useful are the presence of fine hairs on the palette (the swollen part of the lower lip) in U.vulgaris, but cannot see from photo, and the 'marginally deflexed lower corolla lip' in U.vulgaris, ie bent down petal edges. this last character is not clear in the illustrations in Taylor, but my interpretation of this indicate that the flowers are, most probably, U.vulgaris (but can't be 100% sure). the angle of divergence of the 4-armed hairs on the inside of the bladders is also quite a good character I believe....

fantastic photo's!!!

Beautiful flowers whichever species :-)

Guest Guenter Seiter

Hello to all,

I'm sure that these are two species. The first picture of the flowers is U.australis and the second and the last picture show us U.vulgaris.

Sometimes they grow together in Europe (but not often) - Cromp you are a lucky guy to see them together :)

Many greetings from Austria,

Guenter :pimp:

http://pollen.carnivoren.org