The saga of my 'Pasian Highland' N. truncata.

NepXGorgicus

nepenthestruncatajune102010.jpg

Original plant.

And... the plant today.

nepenthestruncata1.jpg

nepenthestruncatanew2.jpg

nepenthestruncatafull.jpg

truncatapasianfullcolor.jpg

I'll let the plant speak for itself. This is probably the prize (and single most indestructible and forgiving of temp / humidity fluctuations due to thick rubbery leaves) of my collection.

ENJOY!

Edited by NepXGorgicus
  • Like 5

I reckon truncata and it's close cousin robcantleyi are easily the most tolerant plants in the genus, in my experience robcantleyi even outdoes the bombproof x ventrata for sheer tenacity. it's the only nep on my windowsill that keeps growing all year round, I only just got a truncata but it looks to be following its cousin's nature pretty well.

cheers for your reply,i have had trouble with my plant ,it almost died about three times and i am pretty sure i was over watering,i put it in a airy mix and watered it less and its doing great now,so i think they prefer less water than i normally give 

I found with this plant that it tolerates standing water EXTREMELY well given a few circumstances. I got it as a small small seedling in a 4" diameter pot, and was able to transplant the whole chunk of soil in one solid mass into a new 8 inch container it's in now (as pictured). Since the roots weren't disturbed and N. truncata is pretty rock solid as a whole, it took that pretty well, and has been in that huge pot for the last 4.5 to 5 years. Little guys sometimes get dried out in really big pots and sometimes have trouble staying well-watered that way, so I acclimated it to standing water pretty early on. I generally keep it in about half an inch at all times, if I'm lazy i'll just drench it though. He's used to it and he doesn't mind it one bit.

In fact, any soil that isn't the soil it came in (whatever California Carnivores used) is just pure long fibered spagnum. My humidity is generally really meh otherwise, so it doesn't mind the extra moisture at all. I usually just soak it all day long.

Edited by NepXGorgicus

do you still grow the plant manders,if so got any pics and how lowland does it need to go ,cheers

Unfortunately he departed for nep heaven several years ago, more intermediate than lowland just less hardy than the pasian one i had, i probably overwatered during winter, was ok 12C and higher.

7852291914_96503ea721_z.jpg

The small one in the foreground was the Pasian which turned into this! Not quite in the same league, maybe i had a duff clone:

14352015783_1d3016a268_z.jpg

Edited by manders
  • Like 2

Hey thanks for the reply.Both look well grown ,kudos for that.I find my so called highland seems to prefer the warmer months in my non climate controlled house plant conditions so intermediate in my opinion.Your highland looks vigorous and unliked;-)

Edited by corky