Dionaea "MD Buttcheeks"

CompostWolf

Hi everyone. I thought I would share a VFT I found in a chicagoland orchid nursery March 2014. 

It's been stable so far, with abnormalities on each trap and each division.

Features:

"buttcheek" shaped traps. Open 180 degrees or greater.

Minor scaling is often present on the upper part of the petiole.

Not much color so far. Light pink blush on the inside of the trap in full sun. 

The teeth and trigger hairs are curled. 

The petiole often rolls into a "taco" shape.

The mature traps do not close, however when they are young and not fully open they can close after about an hour after stimulation.

What do you guys think? I know some people think "mutant" type vft's are "compost" lol. but I love them, the more disfigured the better!

"https://www.flickr.com/photos/125610127@N05/14547533329/in/photostream/player/

I tried posting a photo but a link is the best I can do.

Edited by CompostWolf
  • Like 1

WHY? if a vft can't catch a fly,what is it?

DEAD! get it in the bin.

I like vft's, they get new growers interested in cp's.

If a possible new grower was shown this plant i don't think they would be joining our ranks.

Grow something new by all means,but let it do its job too,AS IT SAY'S ON THE TIN, VFT.

ada

• Like 2

Guest paul y

DEAD! get it in the bin.

If a possible new grower was shown this plant i don't think they would be joining our ranks.

Grow something new by all means,but let it do its job too,AS IT SAY'S ON THE TIN, VFT.

ada

true

DEAD! get it in the bin.

ada

Lol. It is actually my most vigorous grower despite the inability to eat. It has made 4 rhizome divisions in the past 5 months. 

Sorry, but i just don't see the attraction to these deformed mutations ? :roll:

Buttcheeks is pretty grotesque to be honest.

I love freaky mutants so here's my 2 cents on them:

Large and colorful VFTs are very nice. I like them a lot as well. 

But I sort of see a limit with "regular" flytraps. Some have bigger or smaller teeth, some are more red, some less red, Some varieties get huge and some stay average size.

But mutants are fun. I want to see what the phenotypic possibility with the dionaea species is. I love Tricherfalle, Schuppenstiel, Fuzzy tooth, Cupped trap, triton, louchapates, buttcheeks, angelwings, moon traps, wacky traps, korrigans, etc.

I want to see just how weird of a mutant it is possible to create. Maybe try to breed red color into them. I guess at the end of the day these guys are unique and stick out among my other vfts.

I also could see a new person who wants to get started in the hobby wanting to grow a huge flytrap, with good color, menacing teeth....actually able to trap flys lol. But i don't think we should just destroy all the mutants, im sure there are other growers how like a nice assortment of weirdos in there collection.

Edited by CompostWolf

It's just that this plant looks as if it had some disease or pest. Do I find it interesting? No. Do I find it attractive? Far from it. How would I describe it in few words? Unhealthy, ugly, disgusting. Certainly nothing I would ever want to grow. Sorry for harsh opinion.

• Like 1

I think I have seen pictures of the "Umgekrempelt" cultivar before ( I browsed this forum a bit before registering).

I also found out about "Angelwings" and "Moon Traps" a little after I posted on another forum in march about my MD Buttcheeks find.

Since I wasn't familiar with the "inverted trap" shape I almost didn't buy it. I was nervous the shape would not be a stable trait maybe because it was due to pests or bad conditions lol.