U. alpina

Gaz

I know it's considered one of the easier Utrics to grow but, as it's flowering for the first time for me, I thought I'd post a couple of pics. thanks for looking.

Ualpina1.jpg

Ualpina2.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the comments guys.

Steve, as you can see it's growing in live sphagnum moss. When it's not being photographed the pot stands in a tray with my Cephs. The tray is in the greenhouse year round and on top of a shelf on my staging, minimum winter temps 10C. There is some green netting shading slung under the GH roof to protect from direct sunlight. I water it from above onto the moss and then top up the tray to 1cm depth, it doesn't get any more water till the water in the tray has just about gone. In winter I leave it longer between watering.

The flowers are about 4cm across and very long lasting, the 1st one opened 4 weeks ago and is still going strong, the other 12 have gradually opened during that time and there are still a couple of buds to go.

Edited by Gaz

Wow - that's a seriously robust plant! My clones bloom regularly but I've never had that many flowers / stalks at one time -- congratulations.   :Laie_71mini:

Thanks Ron,

When I first got it in February 2012 it was just a tiny tuber with 1 leaf and I didn't know whether it would survive or not. The picture below is January 2013 and it had 1 flower stalk for some months but the buds never developed. All changed this year of course, 6 stalks and now 14 flowers still going strong.

UalpinaJan13c.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi gary, nice plant. I recently bought an alpina, its got some sort of infection, purple spots on the leaves ,do you know of a safe fungicide for this plant. Would dry sphagnum moss be ok to repot in ,and when would be a good time to do it.    Dave.

Thanks Dave and NatchGreys. Sorry we just moved house so didn't see this post earlier.

Dave, my U. longifolia also has purple spots. They don't seem to spread or do the plant any harm, as far as I  can tell, so I've never bothered to treat them. I assumed they were because my light conditions weren't quite right but I could be wrong of course. I think there are some older threads on here on the subject.

I think my U. alpina above is growing in dry sphagnum in the 3rd picture from 2013. It grew OK from when I first received it but in the end it it just didn't feel right, sorry I can't be more specific than that but I preferred the live sphagnum whenever I had some as it eventually forms a nice mat.