Sign in to follow this  
Guest paul y

shout out for les burdett

Guest paul y

hi all hope we are all well, I travelled up to pj plants with les Saturday and stopped off at ians, on the road les told me that he is moving to edit not Essex but somewhere end edit next year and this open day will be his last in the west country,  so in the fashion of going out with a bang les has asked me to go on here and DEMAND your presence at his open day!

seriously though if you are in the western side of the uk and can make it then please do so and bring as much to sell swap or give away as possible.

les may well not have an open day for a season or two as he will need to construct the worlds biggest polytunnel, and if you have ever met les you will know he is genuinely the nicest bloke you could meet and deserves a big turn out.

I can accommodate a few people in terms of pick ups from train station and lift to and from les house you just need to get to Bristol temple meads in plenty of time.

I can set up a 2 man bivvy in the garden if you need to crash overnight.

so in short, time to lie to the boss at work (distant relatives die all the time!)  make some excuses to the wife (my mates a florist I can arrange cheap "im sorry" bunches of flowers)  or bring the wife I will be selling flowering plants so there will be something pretty to soften the blow.

nigels nursery is just round the corner from les, I will speak to nigel about a detour there in the evening?  he may well be too busy but if he can accommodate people and you haven't been then its an eye opening sight,

regards paul

Edited by paul y

I'm planning on going and I'm really looking forward to it!

Paul, you've got the wrong end of the stick somewhere in our conversation. I wouldn't move to Essex if you paid me, lived there in the 70's and 80's and wouldn't move back for anything. My daughter lives there and what I said was when I retire, I would like to move closer to her, that's anything less than the current 165 miles, but definitely not Essex. It's true this will probably be my last open day at this address, I get very poor light and my garden isn't big enough, so I hope next year to be somewhere with a much bigger garden, I'm thinking in terms of a 24' x 50' polytunnel (dream on Les) with plenty of light so I can expand my collection and grow more from seed. It certainly will not be my last open day. I also have another hobby that sees me flashing round Castle Combe and Thruxton Circuits on a regular basis, no race tracks in Essex, they just use the roads to race on in Essex.

Guest paul y

doh! could of swore you said you were moving over to that part of the country! sorry les now I recall the conversation regarding Essex no offence intended by getting my wires crossed.

hey at least I was right about this being your last open day for a while! a small success on my part,

regards paul

I am going to be going.  Went last year and it was my first visit to someones open day and I was genuinely impressed, then immediately jealous!!  Pretty sure the misses and youngun will not be coming, so I can make more of a day of it.

Guest paul y

Hi all hope we are all well?

I have a fair number of hardy perennial flowering garden plants for sale that can be collected at les Burdett open day,  all of my stock is hard grown from seed or division last year, fully hardy, perennial, disease and pest free and fully rooted in 1litre pots,

I have available 30 plus pots of each, all plants are £2 a pot unless otherwise listed

If you would like any please send me a pm so I can make sure they are with me, I can post some plants most are far too big

Iris germinaca rajah, deep purple yellow and pink flower,

Verbena, tall growing 6ft purple flower, a must for bees and butterflies, self seeds and very open airy plant great for backs of borders,

Lupin russel hybrids,

Crocosmia orange flower

Monbretia Lucifer red flower

Hellbores mixed,

Day lilies hemereocalis, various colours,

Japanese anemone, yellow flower,

Variegated grass, zebra grass possibly, very tall clump forming,

Black bamboo, great for big pots, highly invasive, £5

Cheers paul

I am familiar with some of these plants and can say you will not get a lot of these cheaper.

Guest paul y

just wanted to extend my gratitude to les for hosting a great open day,  a sarracenia goldie with 2 growth points for £20, masses of free adult plants, and hundreds of very interesting seedlings plus what elvis and other brought to sell made this an interesting and enjoyable day.

good to catch up with people and meet a few new faces (proud owner of voodoo lillies thanks to jon cooke)

I have to be honest though, more people need to attend these open days, the hosts go to a lot of effort to host these and poor attendances will only make them think twice about it in the future,  I appreciate money is tight for everyone and travelling across the country in pursuit of plants can seem a little asinine at times but we don't want to see a scenario where no one wants to host a day because they are rightly worried no one will show up.

it worries me that in Bristol there are more affiliated members of the edl than there are members of the cps nationwide.

us cp growers are a small and fragile community, separated by quite small geographical distances, if we all gathered in the same place could you see us from space?

I have asked to iss to keep a look out, lets see if we can get 20 attendees at the next open day.

and you all really did miss out by not being at les's, everyone left with loads of free plants thanks to les's generosity, i sold everything i took which made my 5 year old £20 in sales myself £70 which got spent on the biggest batch of seedlings you ever did see,  and they are really good crosses as well, some big name hybrids, cant wait to see them mature.

thanks again les, true legend, great day

paul

• Like 2

Can I also thank Les - it was my first open day and it was great to see Les's collection and to pick up a beautiful Kimber Red Ruffles. I really enjoyed seeing the seedlings and I hope the ones I chose grow on to be something special.