Unheated greenhouse and dormancy

adw

So it has been brought to my attention that I'm not really prepared for my first winter with my new plants. I will soon be moving and putting the plants into an unheated greenhouse I had assumed that this would be good protection for them in the winter but now I'm wondering if i will need a heater for my new greenhouse and if so what would be the best/safest way to do this? Or would I be able to use bubble wrap or horticultural fleece in someway?

Plants I currently have are

Dionaea muscipula varius cultivars

Sarracenia purpurea (still unsure which one) - but think either type should be fine?

Sarracenia leucophylla

Darlingtonia californica

Drosera capensis (alba) - assume I keep this one indoors?

Drosera binata

Many thanks

Adam

Well, I'm not 100% sure about the climate there but assuming it is pretty much the same as here in Belgium you may want to consider a heater if you have any special Dionaea cultivars. You could put the drosera inside but if it doesn't freeze to bad it can even come back from their roots but best is to put inside.

I don't have very much experience with unheated dormancy but I'm pretty sure many people here on the forum do. Anyway if you would buy a heater I would go with an electrical one for a small greenhouse and you can also heat only when it's really needed.

Edited by Killian

I'm in Derbyshire so probably get winters similar to yours. If you're going to provide some winter heat it would be a good idea to insulate first, otherwise you'll be paying to heat the sky.

Some use bubble wrap for insulation and I got some sturdy double sided stuff from Harrods Horticulture. I found the normal stuff with one side unsealed too floppy which made handling a pain. Better still imho, but more expensive, 6mm twin-wall polycarbonate panels which I leave up for shading in summer (had to make cutouts round the auto-vents). I use 3 x 5' double electric tube heaters attached to plug-in thermostats to provide heat but of course there are many other choices available and every grower has their own preference.

For my really sensitive plants (some succulents) I have heated propagators as a way of increasing the temp for a small zone. This wouldn't be necessary for any of the plants you mention of course if you're providing heat otherwise.

Edited by Gaz

I'm not too far away either,my plants have lived in an unheated greenhouse for over twenty years without any problems.

Except for one bad winter several years ago which killed quite a few.

But normally they will be fine.

ada

Thank you all! I think I will just line the green house inside with bubble wrap and I may invest in a paraffin heater to only be used if we get a long cold snap! does that sound like a decent plan?

Adam

The only plants of mine that I bring indoors are my cephs all the others are left in the greenhouse with no additional heating or insulation. As Fred says ventilation is important but you also need to make sure that your plants are kept only damp during the winter and not stood in water. I start to reduce watering around October and my plants are stood on capillary matting which I keep just damp.

Dave

Keeping the plants damp and not wet over winter is the advised and traditional approach. However, I have a double tray containing 11 pots of Sarracenia with accompanying self set D. capensis that sits under a leak . That is flooded over winter and the plants don't mind at all.