Using Utricularia to control red spider mite ?

Had a problem over the last few years with Red Spider Mite on my VFTs.

Although I can control then with regular (weekly) neem oil drenchings, I always expect them to come back next year. I assume they lay dormant in the soil until the time comes to pop up again.

So with that in mind, I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to control small soil pests by planting Utricularia in the pots and allowing to spread around the plants ?

col

Hello Phantom, it's an interesting idea but from a personal point of view I'd think as spider mites are mainly leaf pests that control using utricularias would be limited due to there mode of trapping prey. Perhaps using sticky leaved plants such as Drosera or Pinguicula might be more beneficial, maybe other members could suggest suitable dwarf growing species. Incidently although I work in commercial horticulture and have access to other chemicals to control red spider mite I personally use SB invigorator with great results as long as it's diluted with r/o or rainwater. The only downside is you have to apply it weekly during the growing season:-)

Regards Matwag

Hello Paul, yes I've used it on Sarracenia and the dilution rate was 10ml per litre, as with any new plant though I'd always spray on a test area first to be safe but I've never known anything have an adverse reaction. For red spider mite it works brilliant as long as you apply it weekly from the very first signs of attack. One thing to mention though is it says it controls aphids but in my experience it gives poor control :-)

Regards Matwag

Fred that's a myth. I've had red spider on the undersides of vft leaves at ground level, doesn't get more humid than that!

I'm inclined to agree, spider mites will live in humid conditions quite happily, the only thing that higher humidity seems to affect is the rate at which they reproduce so it will slow them down a bit as will trying to keep temperatures lower.

Ah well, I don't get red spider mite. So if it's not the humidity keeping them away, perhaps it's my propensity for consuming vast quantities of Brassica on a regular basis.