Black Traps - a new flytrap variety

FlytrapCare

I suspect that any plant that is named black, but is not actually black under normal illumination, is likely to come under question here. The same happened with Eden Black. I understand the desire for someone to express the dark colouration in the name, but calling it a colour that it is not is a little bemusing.

Nice plant though :wink:

Hold on, "black" isn't a colour. :laugh1:

Edited by Amar
  • Like 1

Seriously people!? Its my clone and I have quite a few clones with names just so I can keep up with them. I sent Matt the clone last year labeled as black traps because, in the fall, its so dark burgundy, especially on the inside of the traps, I coined it black traps. I'm a private grower and youve never seen any of my clones for sale or even posted to the internet, for the most part, because I grow them because I like them.

I sent Matt a plant and gave him permission to do with it as he pleases because hes such a good guy so please stop getting on his

Case over a plant he didnt even name and don't start with me because if I want to name the plant Hannah Montana, well...its mine!

DSCF3469_zps1be0a44f.jpg

DSCF3468_zps86dee815.jpg

DSCF3467_zpse0301dca.jpg

• Like 4

I couldn't agree more Eric. Although seeing as the name is already taken by another clone on the CP Photo Finder I would recommend a modified name such as the EM Black Traps Matt came up with or anything else you fancy such as Green Envy or Banana Boat even, just not Hannah frickin Montana or Justin bloody Bieber!  

That is a nice pic Dimitar (in it's own right).

• Like 1

People can name cultivars anything they like. If you like the plant, grow it and enjoy it. If you don't like it, raise something better yourself (if you can). It's not easy choosing an appropriate name ...

Richard , I understand what you're saying about photo finder, but the whole purpose of the cultivar system is to avoid duplication of names. The first to publish and register gets the name, everything else is just a nickname until publication.

• Like 4

Guest paul y

are there any restrictions around what you can or cant name a plant? as in can you be really sarcastic or just plain rude or offensive?

I truly hope there isn't, there is simply not enough humour in horticulture, everybody takes it all far too seriously.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

FlytrapCare forum member Dionae (Eric) graciously sent me a division of this really nice plant last year (I think?). It is the darkest, reddest flytrap I've ever seen! And the name "Black Traps", coined by Dionae, is certainly appropriate.

The traps are completely burgundy in good light. And the leaves only show a bit of green soon after they emerge and also turn completely dark red in strong sunlight, as evidenced by the photos.

Hello? Is this comedy hour?

• Like 1

i would still like to grow one,its a nice coloured ,functional good looking plant,and it would be good to grow alongside my red dragons to see the colour difference ,and you guys should be happy with the new name,guess there' s no pleasing some :wink:  "rouge fonce" meaning dark red i think

Edited by corky
  • Like 1

dont see any foolishness in those replys.

Just commenting on the inapropriate name "black traps" for a red plant.

I dont think they were refering to the latest post calling it "rouge fonce"

no pleasing some and no use arguing with them. Never argue with a fool...theyll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience;).

Hey hey hey, calmn down please ! I don't find your comment appropriate at all and I do find it quite insulting.

Who do u mean by "fool" ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...