Black Traps - a new flytrap variety

FlytrapCare

FlytrapCare forum member Dionae (Eric) graciously sent me a division of this really nice plant last year (I think?). It is the darkest, reddest flytrap I've ever seen! And the name "Black Traps", coined by Dionae, is certainly appropriate.

7369202f058e2105004ac593.jpg

fa5ffe9e5f1f3f9a1c207498.jpg

The traps are completely burgundy in good light. And the leaves only show a bit of green soon after they emerge and also turn completely dark red in strong sunlight, as evidenced by the photos.

• Like 1

Guest paul y

so another vft that's going to get cultivar status? im assuming this plant is the result of a tissue culture mistake? or is it the progeny of a natural mutation that can be found in the wild?

either way it isn't black, the writing in the post above is black, that vft is more the colour of dried bulls blood (work at a slaughterhouse for a while and you will see what I mean)

im not detracting from the plant it just shouldn't in my opinion be called black

regards paul

• Like 2

Nice plant, Matt. Will it be called 'FTS Black Traps' ?  There's been a plant called Black Traps around for a few years, which might lead to confusion.

http://www.cpphotofinder.com/dionaea-black-traps-2057.html

Thanks for pointing this out Trev. Since the plant is not one I selected nor named, I'll defer to Eric to let him choose the name. I'll let him know about this plant already circulating under that name. Perhaps he'll just add his initials to the name and make it "EM Black Traps".

Sorry but in my opinion I dont think this is dark enough to be anything special. Ive had traps this dark on my red plants, and thats in the cloudy uk

If that plant is black I suggest you get your eyes tested . It's red and nothing else.

so another vft that's going to get cultivar status? im assuming this plant is the result of a tissue culture mistake? or is it the progeny of a natural mutation that can be found in the wild?

either way it isn't black, the writing in the post above is black, that vft is more the colour of dried bulls blood (work at a slaughterhouse for a while and you will see what I mean)

im not detracting from the plant it just shouldn't in my opinion be called black

regards paul

Thanks for your honest feedback.

For me, this is the darkest, most anthocyanin laden plant I've ever grown, and I grow lots and lots of flytraps. Having always been particularly fond of red-leafed flytraps, I grow all of them I can acquire. And I've propagated thousands of red-leafed flytraps of at least 12 different varieties and have observed those plants for multiple seasons. I can safely say that this plant is the darkest (blackest) plant I've ever grown. The only plant that comes close to it is DC All Red. And remember, this is still late spring/early summer. Flytraps get much more colorful late in the summer and into the fall, so I expect this plant to be much darker later in the growing season.

So although it's not a plant I personally selected nor named, I personally think it's a great plant and worthy of the name "Black Traps". And I plan to propagate it and offer it to the community of Dionaea enthusiasts. If someone doesn't like it or doesn't find it unique enough or thinks the name is inaccurate, they're not required to grow it :)

Edited by FlytrapCare
  • Like 2

Guest paul y

that was a thoughtful answer and I honestly don't want to detract from the plant, its a very nice vft and I will add it to my collection at some point in the future and I will label it as directed or so named. I still however think it is red.

regards paul

How about showing it alongside other named dark red plants (perhaps Royal Red), so that we can judge its colour.

Shown against an all green plant doesn't really tell us anything, and perhaps leads to suspicion that it may not be 'that dark'

Yes, people on the FlytrapCare forum also requested this. I'll get some of my other red varieties out and photograph them side by side with "EM Black Traps" (name is tentative, by the way) to compare.

Yes, people on the FlytrapCare forum also requested this. I'll get some of my other red varieties out and photograph them side by side with "EM Black Traps" (name is tentative, by the way) to compare.

Why not put your so called black next to something that's  proper black this will show it's red . If you live over here I would never buy from you .

Why not put your so called black next to something that's  proper black this will show it's red . If you live over here I would never buy from you .

LOL, who are you? It's not a lie, just a name for a plant. And it's not even my name. It's the name given the plant by the person who grew it from seed (Eric Morrow).
  • Like 1

I suspect that any plant that is named black, but is not actually black under normal illumination, is likely to come under question here. The same happened with Eden Black. I understand the desire for someone to express the dark colouration in the name, but calling it a colour that it is not is a little bemusing.

Nice plant though :wink:

• Like 5

Er... am I the only one not understanding why some people are so aggressive about this topic?

Do you guys have a black plant in your pocket and you wanted that name for yourself?  :laugh1:

Come one! Have a laugh! (and a beer, cheers!)

• Like 10

Er... am I the only one not understanding why some people are so aggressive about this topic?

Do you guys have a black plant in your pocket and you wanted that name for yourself?  :laugh1:

Come one! Have a laugh! (and a beer, cheers!)

:laugh1: I was wondering the same thing! Did I do or say something to upset someone?

I think having a beer is a good idea. Going to get one right now, in fact :cheers:

• Like 2

Dave, this person is a US grower of high repute, over the last few years he has come up with some outstanding Dionaea, any VFT collector that refused to buy from him simply because of a tentative name of one plant would be a fool. Going back to the subject of plant names ,I have a very nice VFT called "Rabbit Teeth" ,however it eats flies not carrots ,and doesn't say "Hey, what's up Doc" nevertheless I don't go off on a rant about it.

• Like 8