SD Titan now SD Kronos

FlytrapRanch

Well, I agree with Phil Green, SD Titan doesn't look so special to me... Dionaea Phalanx grows in the same way, prostrate and with big traps (maybe not as big as Titan's trap).

I would suggest to select clones depending on their appearence and not only on your taste, otherwise we will end up having hundreds of useless cultivar (like Dionaea 'JA1'). I have also seen SD Draco and SD Phoenix and they are quite normal to me, despite I admit they are beautiful, I obtained lots of similar VFT from seed, just breeding dentate and red dionaea (for Phoenix, while for Draco we already have lots of similar clones like G16 and others).

When I select a new clone, I ask myself: Would I be able to recognise it between 100 other typical Dioanea?

I'm not attacking you, I'm always in this same situation: I sow thousands of seeds, find hundreds of beautiful clones but can give name only to less then 5% of them.

• Like 1

It's a nice looking plant, no doubt, and quite large....nobody grows flytraps like Steve can!

But, given the plant has only been grown by two people who are invested in promoting it, I think the excitement about the plant might be a little premature and the plant over hyped.  4cm+ traps aren't all that uncommon on giant flytraps, as others have pointed out. Why not wait until it produces some 5cm+ traps, which could very likely happen, and then post photos?  I doubt there would be many people doubting at that point!

But if the plant turns out unable to produce traps that large, then it's still a very nice flytrap that I'm sure many people would like to grow.  It doesn't have to be the "biggest and best flytrap ever" to be desirable :smile:

Edited by FlytrapCare

Well, I agree with Phil Green, SD Titan doesn't look so special to me... Dionaea Phalanx grows in the same way, prostrate and with big traps (maybe not as big as Titan's trap).

I would suggest to select clones depending on their appearence and not only on your taste, otherwise we will end up having hundreds of useless cultivar (like Dionaea 'JA1'). I have also seen SD Draco and SD Phoenix and they are quite normal to me, despite I admit they are beautiful, I obtained lots of similar VFT from seed, just breeding dentate and red dionaea (for Phoenix, while for Draco we already have lots of similar clones like G16 and others).

When I select a new clone, I ask myself: Would I be able to recognise it between 100 other typical Dioanea?

I'm not attacking you, I'm always in this same situation: I sow thousands of seeds, find hundreds of beautiful clones but can give name only to less then 5% of them.

I guess my question for you would be, since SD Titan is easily different than every other plant in my collection (which is many), wouldn't that make it exactly what you just explained? You are making your assumption off of a few pictures...

Plus, comparing Phalanx to SD Titan is a very poor comparison. That is like comparing Dentate to a typical.... Phalanx is known for its extremely long cilia. SD Titan is becoming known strictly for large traps. 

But, given the plant has only been grown by two people who are invested in promoting it, I think the excitement about the plant might be a little premature and the plant over hyped. 

Not sure what you mean by this statement since no one is invested in this plant and no one is out to make a single dime off of it.... I am sure what you are thinking is that since I just opened a TC store, you think we are promoting it so it can be sold for lots of money or something like that.... I think you should ask the multiple customers (all of which are competing stores), that have already obtained hundreds of clones from me, how much they paid.... *hint* the answer is $0 (well, Steve has actually been really pushy towards paying for everything. But, I just turn around and buy stuff from him in return. So for us, we just toss money back and forth, haha).

The only goal I've discussed with Steve is to spread SD Titan to the world as quickly as possible so people can experience it... And Steve wants his name tied to it. (which i don't blame him, SD Titan is amazing)

But, nothing about what Steve has said is over hyped. Nor has anything that I have said been false..... No, SD Titan has not produced 5cm traps for me. But, nor do I think a plant will ever constantly produce traps that size..... But, SD Titan does produce more 4cm+ traps than any other large clone I have ever grown and it produces traps that size as fast most plants produce their average size traps.

No, a plant doesn't need to be the biggest to be special. No one is claiming SD Titan to be the biggest ever. But, I am with 100% certainty claiming that SD Titan out grows every plant in my collection and from February of 2014 to today, it has produced more traps over 4cm than every other plant I ever owned, combined.

But, I will end with this statement again... Please, be skeptical. It is good that so many people are being so. There are a lot of stores, some very popular, taking advantage of many gullible people.... But, Flytrapranch is not one of them.

SD Titan will prove itself.

30Vy1CJ.jpg

Prized writes:

I have also seen SD Draco and SD Phoenix and they are quite normal to me, despite I admit they are beautiful, I obtained lots of similar VFT from seed, just breeding dentate and red dionaea (for Phoenix, while for Draco we already have lots of similar clones like G16 and others).

Thank you for your comments, Prized, and thanks to Matt (FlytrapCare) also for his comments.

I agree with you, Prized. I'm not nearly as fond of SD Draco and SD Phoenix as I am of SD Titan. SD Draco and SD Phoenix were produced when I was working with Matt (FlytrapCare). Their provenance is not completely determined. Both Matt and I grew Venus Flytrap seedlings from seeds produced from both our locations. In my location in New Mexico, U.S., the plants now named SD Draco and SD Phoenix grew and attracted my attention. In Matt's location in Oregon, U.S., two other plants with similar characteristics grew, and were eventually named FTS Purple Ambush and FTS Flaming Lips.

Originally I wanted to name the two plants at my location "FTS Vesuvius" and "FTS Kilauea" (both names of volcanoes, and both names deferring to Matt at FlytrapCare) but Matt preferred that I not use the "FTS" prefix. I agreed but then was faced with a decision: either forget about these plants and sell them each as a "typical" or "seed-grown" plant, or name them and propagate them as unique clones. I decided upon the latter because I had become fond of these two plants after growing them for some time, and felt that others might like them too.

Edited by FlytrapRanch
  • Like 1

But, given the plant has only been grown by two people who are invested in promoting it, I think the excitement about the plant might be a little premature

Absolutely. I completely agree. I'm hoping that there won't be much hype about SD Titan. I merely plan to post occasional updates as the original SD Titan and its divisions or tissue cultured plantlets grow and develop over time, and it may be many months or 1-3 years before any are available for sale or distribution. I have no idea--

I'm much more interested to see what other people, growers in the U.S. and around the world, think of SD Titan when and if they decide to grow it in their own collections and conditions.

Edited by FlytrapRanch
  • Like 1

Plus, comparing Phalanx to SD Titan is a very poor comparison. That is like comparing Dentate to a typical.... Phalanx is known for its extremely long cilia. SD Titan is becoming known strictly for large traps.

Do not overdo it, phalanx and titan grow in the same way, and the ryzome is the same too (when I repotted mine last year it was like the picture in the first post), but as I said traps are bigger. There are many other giant clones that could be compared with it, and even on Google we can find similar plant (link1 link2 low giant)

No, a plant doesn't need to be the biggest to be special. No one is claiming SD Titan to be the biggest ever. But, I am with 100% certainty claiming that SD Titan out grows every plant in my collection and from February of 2014 to today, it has produced more traps over 4cm than every other plant I ever owned, combined.

How many other giant clones do you have? Since the readers of this post are both US and EU grower, you should consider that in EU we have different giant clones and maybe what is special for you, shouldn't for us.

PLUS, we have to consider the growing condition... The plant doesn't appear very well coloured and that could be due to lack of colouration or lightning. If I keep a typical Dionaea under my tables, I think it could easily produce 4cm traps.

In the photos we can only see the very firsts trap produced, and usually they are always bigger; how does the plant looks like in summer?

I admit that SD Titan is a special plant, but not enough for being named in my opinion

Prized mentions the "Big Vigorous" and "Low Giant" Venus Flytrap clones.

Low Giant is one of my favorite plants, and remained my favorite even after B52 and DC XL appeared. It has two of the characteristics I like most in a Venus Flytrap: neat, compact leaf growth and very large traps. In addition, the traps seemed to develop a deep red color more freely than many other Flytraps including B52 and DC XL, but not as often or readily as Big Mouth, another great prostrate, large-trapped Venus Flytrap clone.

The "Low Giant" that became available in Europe did not grow the same in my collection as the original Low Giant I obtained in the United States. The European "Low Giant" grew more upright, especially in the summer, and had smaller traps.

Regarding Big Vigorous, I've grown both Vigorous and "Big Vigorous." The original Vigorous was a very impressive plant that produced the widest diameter rosette of any Venus Flytrap I have grown before or since. However, the "Vigorous" clone that was distributed in Europe and later made its way to the United States did not grow like the original Vigorous. Instead, the European "Vigorous" tended to divide a lot, to make a clump of smaller plants, it's traps were not nearly as large as those of the original Vigorous, and the leaves were spindlier (thinner).

The plant now known as Big Vigorous much more closely resembles the original Vigorous than the plant from Europe that has been distributed as "Vigorous."

I just wanted to add a few notes from my own experience. :)

Edited by FlytrapRanch

PLUS, we have to consider the growing condition... The plant doesn't appear very well coloured and that could be due to lack of colouration or lightning. If I keep a typical Dionaea under my tables, I think it could easily produce 4cm traps.

In the photos we can only see the very firsts trap produced, and usually they are always bigger; how does the plant looks like in summer?

First, that picture I just posted was taken yesterday June 24th at 5:20pm Central time, on my Nexus 5. That IS the plant during the summer... I took that picture for Steve last night to show that it was producing a second flower stalk and that I am gonna let it grow for TC purposes.

Second,  anyone who has a decent amount of growing experience knows how capricious color on a Venus Flytrap is. Heck, I have 2 SD Draco's growing less than a cm apart and one is red and the other is solid green (SD Draco is a very colorful plant)... Color is no where near a good indicator of health or the amount of natural light a plant has received..... I don't like to call people out but that is a 100% BS claim to make..... But, I will say that you can put a plant under certain light frequencies to make color more pronounced, but that is not natural.... Plus, when you put a plant in low light it doesn't grow large traps. It grows long, spindly, thin leaves with tiny traps that usually have a very light green/yellow tint.

I can't say the rest of this without sounding like an A-hole, but it must be said.... Since you really feel Phalanx and SD Titan are similar enough to compare, and you really think that the 2 Big Vigorous and Low Giant pictures are similar enough to compare, AND you really think color is any sort of an indicator for plant health.  Your arguments cannot be taken seriously. It is very obvious you don't have enough experience with plants to make any sort of judgement. 

Again, I am sorry that has to sound so harsh (I am not good with words so i couldn't think of a nicer way to say it). Please don't take that as me trying to sound more superior anything like that. We all started some where with plants and there is definitely a learning curve to their care, growth and differences. There are lots of people with WAY more knowledge than I have.

Lasty, you are correct that other countries have different plants. The only "Giants" I currently have are B52, DC XL, Megatraps(G17), G14, FTS Etna, and JAWS. B52 being the current world record holder and DC XL the proposed contender for that title.

But that is exactly why I said this to Phil, yesterday

I have personally never grown southwest giant, so it may be one heck of a plant that I haven't gotten my hands on yet. Per your testimony, I will purchase one!... If I can find one.... I see the name G16 and southwest Giant both being sold at the same store, so I am not certain it will be easy to obtain the plant you have. At least over here in the states.

But, before this gets out of hand, I am going to bow out and leave with "I am glad you guys are skeptical. But you can't judge a plant from 5 pictures, so just wait and see before you make your final judgement."

Edited by mdeford09

Here is one of my pots of FTS Etna. I took this picture on June 18th 2014.

But, you can see how a plant that is getting the same amount of light as the plants around it and yet it still has much more coloration.... And you can see some of the taller traps are opened towards the sun and getting more direct light than that lower trap and yet they have less color.

oH4E0Kc.jpg

Most plants don't always produce large traps and they don't grow the same from year to year.... I mean the opposing questions are endless... Are we taking the data from the spring growth? Summer growth? Fall? Dormancy?...  Did the plant flower this season? How many divisions did it make after flowering? How long was the growth pause after flowering?... Did the plant suffer any type of set backs? Late freeze? Late watering? Too much watering?... What media was it grown it? What was the PH of the media in each pot?.... The amount of questions I could bring up to stifle the results is too many. 

This type of data gathering would take years to get a real idea and an accurate measurement, and the results would differ from region to region. These are living items subject to many different variables that can cause many different issues with the end results. If you really think I could just go grab a bunch of traps off of a few plants and give an accurate representation of the data, you are very, very wrong. I would need to do that every week for at least 3 seasons to show enough data to be correct on a scientific level...... Then, I would need to be able to replicate all results hundreds of times.

On top of all of those problems, the amount of plants I would need to have growing is huge. I mean, each time I pull a single trap off of a plant, I would not be able to gather from that plant again for at least 2-3 months. Due to each time I pull a leaf it stunts the growth of the next leaves. If it were as easy as you make it out to be, it would have been done years ago.... Of course, I could just leave the traps on. But, not all plants have nice 12cm long petioles to measure the traps easily and correctly. 

Remember, in science, something doesn't just happen once and they call it fact. You need to be able to replicate and produce results hundreds of times. Which takes years for even very minor things. So it is NOT as simple as measuring a few dozen traps and presenting a table.

But, most seasoned growers do have their own mental tables built and the ability to pick out great plants when they see one, and if anyone here is a seasoned grower and has the ability to pick out great plants, it is Flytrapranch. 

im afraid to say most of what you say here is misguided and wrong. you are making a relative comparision of one type of plant to another. the season, temp, light etc is irrelevant so long as the two groups of plants are the same age, grown in the same medium and located in the same position. variables such as differences in numbers of prey caught, ph in different pots etc are smoothed out by taking a number of measurements from different specimens and different traps and finding the mean.

you definately do not need to collect data for years you can do it today. there are even tests you can use if you have even less data. i really am not wrong about this as you say. i never comment on things i have no experience of. i am not going to boast about my academic qualifications except to say they are sufficient for me to be confident about what i say.

Absolutely. I completely agree. I'm hoping that there won't be much hype about SD Titan.

If it is stated that SD Titan is the largest flytrap ever "on average" that sounds like a statement intended to generate some hype.  That along with statements such as "best flytrap ever", "huge deal", "larger than B52 or DC XL", "makes B52 and DC XL look small", etc.  All of these statement made after observing the plant at maturity for less than one season?  Those statements certainly seem to me to be intended to generate hype and very premature in their pronouncement.  I think that's why some of the people here have posted with such responses.

In any case, I DO think that SD Titan will be a great flytrap.  It's just too early to tell and making such statements and claims of size, without any significant data to back it up, does sound a bit like "snake oil speak".  If it were my plant, I'd just wait it out, take some photos when Titan makes some really impressive traps and then post them.  Or send a specimen or two to someone with a long history of growing flytraps, such as Bob Ziemer, and ask him to express his opinion on the plant.  If you have some really good photos and a testimonial from someone who has grown flytraps since 1955 and grows virtually every flytrap under the sun, that should do away with the skepticism.

As an aside, this thread got me thinking: When I start thousands of flytraps from seed each year, I never have any intention of looking for giant flytraps.  There are just SO MANY of them already out there, and a lot of really great giant flytraps, especially in Europe where the cultivation of unique and giant Dionaea seems to have a much longer history than in the US.  Virtually any "normal" characteristic you like in a flytrap, such as prostrate growth, good coloration, upright growth, etc., can be found in a giant flytrap that is already named.  And even if one gets lucky and is able to select a flytrap that seems to produce larger traps than any other giant flytrap out there, how significantly larger will they be than other giant flytraps?  In terms of percentages, perhaps it would be significant.  If traps were 2mm or 3 mm larger, on average, that would be 5% to 8% larger, which sounds significant.  But in terms of absolute size, I don't know if 2mm or 3mm really makes a big difference to the naked eye.  Certainly wouldn't to me.

I know I'm in the minority, but in my opinion, giant flytraps are kind of boring.  Once you've seen a few large traps, they all look the same with only small differences in growth habit.  That's why I like the plants with unique coloration, unusual traps, really odd growth habit or odd trap morphology or something else that would make them stand out in a crowd.  If you lined up healthy, full-sized specimens of all of the named giant cultivars, it would certainly be a sight to see.  But if you started mixing in unnamed flytraps that were also larger than average, pretty soon it would be hard to tell which were the giants and which were the unnamed large flytraps (which are very common in most seed sets of plants from good genetic stock).  And I'd bet that SD Titan, in that lineup, would not stand out heads and shoulders above all of the rest.  But then throw in a Coquillage, or an Alien, or FTS Yellow, or Spotty, or any red-leafed variety, or Wacky Traps, or Mirror or any other unique flytrap to the lineup and that would be the one that would be interesting enough to draw my full attention :smile:

I was looking at BCP site just now for something else and I noticed they have a clone they've named BCP Titan.  I know this one has the SD before it but this similar naming can lead to people distributing clones under the wrong name. It happened to me with a guy who sold me a fake Dracula, he was foreign and failed to say in his original post on here that it 'looked like' Dracula I only found out last year when I was showing the photo to Trev.

If it is stated that SD Titan is the largest flytrap ever "on average" that sounds like a statement intended to generate some hype.

I agree. It is much too early to come to definitive judgements or conclusions about this plant. But it is not too early for me to have noticed its impressive growth and form. I haven't tried to be impressed with it, I simply am impressed with it, although subsequent growing might might possibly change my mind.

All I can say about this plant--let's forget the name for now--is that it has consistently and repeatedly drawn my attention during the course of its growth, although I didn't really consider it special until it matured into a young adult, so it took some time before I thought it might be special enough to share with others and with the international carnivorous plant growing community, or that I might regret not having done so later.

I was legitimately surprised by this plant. I never expected to have any plant worthy of sharing with the rest of the world. As you know, "SD Draco" and "SD Phoenix" were not really intended to have my initials attached to them, and at that time I had not yet decided whether the plant that has been named SD Titan would be impressive enough (to me, anyway) to name.

To Richard Bunn, who found another Venus Flytrap named "Titan" (BCP Titan), that does indeed seem like a potential source of confusion. One of the reasons I posted this discussion thread, so far before the plant is actually ready to distribute, was to try to make others aware of the name so that it might be considered "reserved" or already in use.

Edited by FlytrapRanch

im afraid to say most of what you say here is misguided and wrong. you are making a relative comparision of one type of plant to another. the season, temp, light etc is irrelevant so long as the two groups of plants are the same age, grown in the same medium and located in the same position. variables such as differences in numbers of prey caught, ph in different pots etc are smoothed out by taking a number of measurements from different specimens and different traps and finding the mean.

you definately do not need to collect data for years you can do it today. there are even tests you can use if you have even less data. i really am not wrong about this as you say. i never comment on things i have no experience of. i am not going to boast about my academic qualifications except to say they are sufficient for me to be confident about what i say.

Last comment I am going to make on this thread. It is very obvious what is happening.

With a test taken right now, what is it going to tell me? "That at this time of year, in my area, my current stock of "said plant" is averaging a certain size"... But, EVERYONE knows that most plants produce different sized traps in the spring, summer, and  fall. So my tests are only conclusive to how they are growing right now in their current conditions. But in 3 months, that same test is going to present totally different results. 

I know I'm in the minority, but in my opinion, giant flytraps are kind of boring.  Once you've seen a few large traps, they all look the same with only small differences in growth habit.  That's why I like the plants with unique coloration, unusual traps, really odd growth habit or odd trap morphology or something else that would make them stand out in a crowd.  If you lined up healthy, full-sized specimens of all of the named giant cultivars, it would certainly be a sight to see.  But if you started mixing in unnamed flytraps that were also larger than average, pretty soon it would be hard to tell which were the giants and which were the unnamed large flytraps (which are very common in most seed sets of plants from good genetic stock).  And I'd bet that SD Titan, in that lineup, would not stand out heads and shoulders above all of the rest.  But then throw in a Coquillage, or an Alien, or FTS Yellow, or Spotty, or any red-leafed variety, or Wacky Traps, or Mirror or any other unique flytrap to the lineup and that would be the one that would be interesting enough to draw my full attention

This reasoning is exactly why I told Steve it was probably a bad Idea to post in the CPUKforum and why I never became a member until yesterday. 

CPUKforum is more focused on "freak" plants. No offense intended, everyone has their own tastes. Some people like blonde hair, some like red. And there are those who only like extremes and like their SOs to not have legs. To each their own. We are all different with different tastes.

But, CPUKforum is definitely more oriented around "strange".

SD Titan is the largest flytrap ever "on average" that sounds like a statement intended to generate some hype.  That along with statements such as "best flytrap ever", "huge deal", "larger than B52 or DC XL", "makes B52 and DC XL look small", etc.  All of these statement made after observing the plant at maturity for less than one season?  Those statements certainly seem to me to be intended to generate hype and very premature in their pronouncement.  I think that's why some of the people here have posted with such responses

These are my comments and I tried my best to always include that the comments were intended as a comparison between my current plants and my plants of  the past.

Like I stated before, SD Titan has not taken any official crowns. But in comparison to all of my plants, INCLUDING B52 and DC XL, this plant has out grown all of them consistently this year. It is has done more in a single season than any other plant I have ever grown or seen..... If that is not something to get excited about, I don't know what is. 

Edited by mdeford09

Please don't take that as me trying to sound more superior anything like that.

That's is exactly what you are doing....you can't say that I'm not experienced if I tell you that lat winter MY Phalanx was exactly like SD Titan (except for trap size), but it's ok, I'm surely not experienced enough, so don't worry ;)

I have Dioanea "La grosse a Guigui" 2012 Largest trap competition winner, that in my conditions only grows at 4-4,3cm, while the best trap in 2012 was 5,2cm....what does this means in your opinion?

If you state that SD Titan always produce 4cm long (and longer) traps, while in my conditions would produce 3-3,5cm traps, maybe it is not as titanic as you could think.

I have seen Tritons with 4cm traps (yeah, 4cm traps) and I bet very few people can do the same...why? Growing conditions, that's it.

I was not referring to your picture but at those in the first post on this thread. How long is it out of dormancy your SD Titan?

• Like 1

This reasoning is exactly why I told Steve it was probably a bad Idea to post in the CPUKforum and why I never became a member until yesterday. 

CPUKforum is more focused on "freak" plants. No offense intended, everyone has their own tastes. Some people like blonde hair, some like red. And there are those who only like extremes and like their SOs to not have legs. To each their own. We are all different with different tastes.

But, CPUKforum is definitely more oriented around "strange".

I don't know that I've found this to be true.  Yes, Europeans seem to be more into the unusual varieties of flytraps than people in the US, but I believe that's because they have far more of them.  There are plenty of "freak haters" here too.  In fact, just yesterday....

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53297&p=357973

There are lots and lots of examples of similar posts here on CPUK.

That's is exactly what you are doing....you can't say that I'm not experienced if I tell you that lat winter MY Phalanx was exactly like SD Titan (except for trap size), but it's ok, I'm surely not experienced enough, so don't worry ;)

:laugh2:

I was not referring to your picture but at those in the first post on this thread. How long is it out of dormancy your SD Titan?

I brought my SD Titan into artificial conditions in mid January in attempts to produce a flower stalk for TC purposes. It was then placed back outdoors in mid February and then transplanted in early March and then again in April to a insulated pot to help cope with the intense heat of my area.

Natural time of year for plants to break dormancy in my area is late January to mid February. So it has a few extra weeks of growth, but been out of dormancy for many months. All of my plants put on their summer leaves some weeks ago.

Enjoy the thread, guys. Sorry to seem like a butt head. I just wanted to share an awesome plant with you guys but instead had to defend it against people who seem to believe they have a 6th sense and can determine plants entire growth cycle by a few pictures. 

If you state that SD Titan always produce 4cm long (and longer) traps, while in my conditions would produce 3-3,5cm traps, maybe it is not as titanic as you could think.

Definitely! But, that is exactly why I said out of all of "MY" plants ever grown, it is the biggest on average that I have ever seen. There is no lie or exaggeration in that statement.

I have only grown plants in 2 states in the US. North Carolina and now Texas. But, I have had B52 in both locations.... North Carolina was like a hot humid swamp and Texas is a desert. Temps in the summer time sore above 44C quite often and I often see humidity in the single digits... My B52 came from Flytrapstore back in 2010-2011 (not certain on the exact date, ) so i am fairly certain it was the real deal..... But, what I am getting as comparing all of my plants grown in those totally different locations and environments, I have never seen a plant grow like SD Titan. 

you can't say that I'm not experienced if I tell you that lat winter MY Phalanx was exactly like SD Titan (except for trap size), but it's ok, I'm surely not experienced enough, so don't worry ;)

Yes, I can.

Here is a thread of a user who JUST started growing last season and his B52's rhizome ALSO looked very similar to the Photo of Steve's plant (but with smaller traps). http://flytrapforum.com/showthread.php?tid=225 ...  He is a very nice guy and definitely has one heck of a green thumb. But he just started growing.

Again, that post was not meant to sound superior. It was merely used to point out the extreme flaws in your argument of trap shape, size, and color.

Take care, everyone. Hopefully once you see SD Titan in person, you will see what I mean. 

I brought my SD Titan into artificial conditions in mid January in attempts to produce a flower stalk for TC purposes. It was then placed back outdoors in mid February and then transplanted in early March and then again in April to a insulated pot to help cope with the intense heat of my area.

Natural time of year for plants to break dormancy in my area is late January to mid February. So it has a few extra weeks of growth, but been out of dormancy for many months. All of my plants put on their summer leaves some weeks ago.

And you want me to take your photo as a term of comparison?!?! With a plant grown indoor for a month, then outside, then repotted, with only 5 leaves!?!?

Just LOL.......from my low experience, where I see this picture that looks exactly the same as SD Titan (both with strong teeth, curly leaves, compact prostrate growing and probably same trap size) :flag_of_truce:

Edited by prized
  • Like 1

where I see this picture that looks exactly the same as SD Titan (both with strong teeth, curly leaves, compact prostrate growing and probably same trap size)

If I remember correctly, I believe that's a B52 in the picture. I think it might be one that Christian bought from FlytrapRanch.com last year. Christian is an exceptionally good grower in a wonderful environment (Pacific Island). He uses a multi-layer substrate planting medium (for this planting and some others). When this plant was uprooted for transplanting, its rhizome (I believe it was the same plant in a subsequent photo) was truly huge and very impressive. This photo was taken in the Spring when the plant was growing prostrate. B52s of course grow more upright in the Summer. If Christian reads CPUKforum, perhaps he can comment or correct anything I've just written.

Edited by FlytrapRanch