In search of true N. 'Yatomi'

Rodrigo

Friends of CPUK, here i am again with another question and hope to have your help to solve it. It is as follows; many years ago a friend brought upon Japan a plant called N. 'Yatomi'. So far so good, but are they emerged doubt what would be involved in creating this Nepenthes hybrid (ie if not a cultivar), and after a long search, we found a specific information in the book "The Carnivorous Plants of the World" that CP said this is a hybrid between N. thorelii and N. veitchii.

The problem is that when observing her picture in CPPhotFinder not find any similarities with these species, and to make matters worse, we think the picture on the web than would be true Yatomi. For comparison purposes below make available the images of the two Nep:

N. 'Yatomi' - Official photo of CPPhotoFinder

3743492588_3197149470.jpg

N. 'Yatomi' - Photo of the web

IMG_0357.jpg

So, which of the two is the true N. 'Yatomi'?

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Hi,

I am no expert either, but neither look like this hybrid, IF the parent species are correct. I can't see that there should be this strong speckling in this cross, which can be seen in the first plant. N. truncata can definitely be seen in the second plant. 

Regards,

Christert

Edited by christerb
  • Like 1

Well, there is no way N. thorelii was used to make this hybrid.  Also, the only "Official Photographs" are those which the author of the cutlivar publishes as the standard(s).

For a couple of decades, plants of N. bokorensis would be collected and then labeled "N. thorelii".  Most "thorelii" hybrids are really N. bokorensis hybrids.  This a rather variable species and different plants can show a diversity of characteristics.  The upper pitchers can be quite robust and some have wide, flared, peristomes which also tend to have red stripes.

The first plant look like N. fusca * N. albomarginata and the second appears to be N. bokorensis * N. truncata.

I have a plant of N. bokorensis (ex. thorelii) * N. veitchii...  But it isn't called 'Yatomi'.

• Like 1

With very few exceptions, for very obvious well known crosses, i don't believe anyone can id a nep hybrid correctly without addiional info, so if your not sure of the history and name of the plant its probably worth just calling it N. 'unknown hybrid'.

• Like 1

I have always noticed N. Veitchii's peristome to be a quite dominant trait in hybrids containing its lineage which isn't expressed in the first picture. However the second picture seems to be very Truncata like. I cant see much Veitchii in either.

• Like 1

This plant may not exist anymore, or it might be in a couple of collections--but perhaps those people aren't on the internet much...

However, neither plant in the photos looks like it could be N. bokorensis (ex. thorelii) x N. veitchii.

So while the plant named 'Yatomi' might not still exist (or are very rare), the hybrid itself sure does.