serious problem with many dionaea

Chimico85

I have a very serious problem with my dionaea, 10-15 plants are sick or dead:
this "rot" attack in middle the leafs and go up at last kill the rhizome, the problem began when i changed peat, and i have transfered the plants in my greenhouse, after 5 days some plants of one saucer begin the problem, i changed peat and transfered outside, and now almost all the plants on this saucer are sick also if they are on live sfagnum or are dead.
i not understand why, grew dionea in different types, but never saw  this sick.
i grow in 1-2cm of perlite,2-3cm of peat and perlite, 1-2cm of only peat.
i did treatments for antifungal and anti rot but are useless.
someone can help me?

P1020072_zpsc1a6886e.jpg

Edited by Chimico85

It sounds like the peat you used could have been contaminated with fertilizer from other composts.

This is happening more and more often as suppliers don't want to waste compost.

I have had it happen twice myself.

Anyone else any suggestions?

ada

I agree with Ada looks like fertiliser, on some plants I tried out slow release pils the leaves start to go black, roots rot off and if you leave it too long the whole plant roars off.

If you catch it quick enough give a good wash and plant in fresh fertiliser free peat and the plants generally recover

when i transferred dionaea in another saucer with another peat or with live sphagnum but the disease continued.

i not understand because hit only one saucer on six that i have change peat

The disease might only appear to continue because they still have fertiliser in their system.

Repotting won't magically make the fertiliser within the plants vanish instantly.

But you can't do really anything except repot everything and see what survives.

What is the brand of the new peat?

my neighbors have many fruit trees and before of great rain of this month have used a lot substances, my roof is high as the trees, can be when i collected first rain have a high concentration of this substances?

It could be that only one pot of plants was affected due to fertilized compost not being mixed very well into the peat you bought.

It could have been one lump of the fertilized compost in a good bag of peat.

ada

• Like 1

I would say so.

These plants have evolved to live in conditions that contain very few nutrients for the roots.That's why they catch insects,to gain the nutrients.

But too many nutrients are now harmful or lethal to cp's.You can see where the first signs of rot/death have occured,right at the roots that have the most contact with the new compost you used.

ada

Edited by ada