Pokie's Cephalotus

pokie22

Preferably, I would like there to be a standard of measurement for pitcher size. Because the lid varies in its angle, with 90 degrees being completely vertical, there is a difference in the percentage that the lid may contribute to the total height of a pitcher. However, there is no such standard in place. Thus, I consulted with senior growers, those who have experience well beyond my years, and pictures who I have salivated over, such as Charles Brewer and BigBella. Those on this forum should be aware of their cephalotus, and have viewed pictures of their specimens over the years. They give the measurement of their pitchers from the bottom of the pitcher to the top of the lid. And for consistency sake, I will measure mine as such so as to not add to the confusion of information here. Of course, one can always measure things as one one sees fit, so I have included a picture with a ruler (and with one including my thumb for reference, LOL). Adhering to this informal methodology, we can compare pitchers, but I believe the bottom of the pitcher to the top of the peristome is ultimately more definitive. In that case, this pitchers measures 7cm, from the bottom of the pitcher to the peristome. In a survey on the percentage that a lid contributes to total cephalotus pitcher height from a few dozen of my plants, it can account for 25-50% of the total pitcher height. I suspect that forum members also report their pitcher height from the bottom of the pitcher to the top of the lid, however I have found but a few pictures with a ruler. In most cases, I have found reports of "X.Xcm", without actual evidence. I believe that data always trumps claims, and leaves no leeway for arguments. 

Good answer,I was in no way trying to rubbish such a great pitcher.But you may well reach the magic 10cm if the lid does the vertical thing(dimitars is a good example top of page).I think I could almost fit my biggest ceph in that pitcher pot an all

Edited by corky

Wouldn't it make sense to measure cephalotus from the base of the pitcher to the hinge of the lid, and then there would be no arguments over angle of the lid ? This is how i've decided to measure my nepenthes anyway, but i guess it would be a lot more difficult to measure the back of a ceph pitcher. Unless of course you cut it off first :blink:

This Hummer's giant pitcher has reached its full potential and stands at 10.1cm or 4 inches.

15293170804_4c669715e8_c.jpg

Alright, now in return, I would like to see examples of other cephalotus giant pitchers. I know there are many growers here with decades of growing experience, and surely I can not be the first to cultivate a 10cm cephalotus pitcher. I know there are many individuals such as myself, who would not publicly show their plants, and neither would I, if it were not for the request from a dear friend.

Edited by pokie22
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cephalotus Typical (MH)

This plant can achieve dark colors if given the correct stimulation. The pitchers are short and fat. Pictures of its progression through time.

14128634490_7554da43d8_c.jpg

Dark coloration isn't achieved as u say but I do agree that this Michael Hardvick clone definitely gets short and fat pitchers, rather I would say lovely dwarf plant. :nyam1:

10419983_797417410295834_616065540157768

10945693_797417413629167_303906789541421

• 5 months later...