P. spec. Tonala filiform

yves

Dear Fischermans

I don't agree with you. There are many differences between both of them.

It is at least a subsp.

P. heterophylla grows on clay, P. spec. Tonala on gypsum.

P. spec. Tonala doesn't form large leaves at the beginning of growing period.

The shape of flower is quite different.

Yves

compar_zps7042d7af.jpg

compar1_zpsd0189d07.jpg

compar2_zpsa02a1dc9.jpg

compar4_zps4d6711d7.jpg

Nice pics and congrats on your plants!

Even though Ed Read & I originially discovered this P.sp.Tonala back in 2003, I am not sure it deserves its own taxonomic rank. The habitat is truly very different from typical P.heterophylla and the above pics definitely show some interesting morphological differences.

My only concern is that P.heterophylla is a very widespread and variable species. We know the very similar (conspecific?) P.medusina grows very close to this P.sp.Tonala and in a very similar gypsum habitat. Makes me wonder what else we could find in this region, if we looked at other gypsum habitats, or more clayish heterophylla-like habitats? For example we know that P.heterophylla just north of Oaxaca city also form pups on leaf tips (Forbes and Noah photographed this: http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pinguicula_2/Pages/BAREFOOT_BOYS_MEXICAN_TRIP_10.htm), similar to P.medusina.

So before anybody rushes to publish any new taxa in this group, I would prefer to see more field data from that region of Oaxaca, as well as a comparison to P.heterophylla across its range - and not just to the few clones in cultivation.

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando

You are absolutely right,

It is interesting to see the morphological differences between both clones.

It would be interesting as you said, to collect some more field data.

On my opinion, despite it doesn't form plantlets at the top of leaves,

it is more related to P. medusina regarding the shape of flower.

Yves

Yes, it does look more like P. medusina. I believe the Mexican Pinguicula have been and still are subject to the same pattern of ecological challenges as the genus Nepenthes. We have wide spread species and many local endemic species. Moranensis is effectively the N. mirabilis of Pinguicula. P. medusina, P. heterophylla and sp. Tonala are the N. diatas, N. densiflora and N. singalana of the genus.