Ordered a couple of plants!

Knutah

I suppose I'd better start a new topic, as this really has nothing to do with identifying anything. 

Well, I went ahead and ordered two more plants from Wistuba; N. maxima and N. faizaliana. The maxima is supposedly an easy intermediate variety, and the faizaliana is described as being an easy highlander. I took his word for it. What do you guys think about these species? =)

Wistuba is rarely if ever wrong!

looking forward to pictures of these plants

I'll probably ask some more dumb questions when I receive the plants, complete with pictures of the lot :P

In other news, this relatively new fascination with CPs has led me to buy a small used aquarium. I'll use the aquarium to grow my VFT and drosera, and possibly some of the smaller nep plants during winter. Who knows, maybe I can somehow trick my x hookeriana into putting out some bigger pitchers in a terrarium? :) 

Gareth,

Any pics of your N. faizaliana? I got this one several years ago, and it turned out to be N. fusca "Sarawak". I am hoping he might have the real thing now. The only commercial source I have seen having N. faizaliana is Malesiana. It would have been nice with a source here in Europe.

Regards,

Christer 

Christer- sadly, mine is way too young to tell- I've had it barely 12 months now. I think it'll be at least another year before I have any idea whether or not it's the real deal. 

Knutah- I bought this before from Andreas, and it simply failed to thrive as a highlander- it just had all the symptoms of being too cold. Ever since this new one arrived, I've kept it with my lowlanders, which means minimum 18C (in winter, that's 18C exactly for about 5 months). The theory is that this species grows in the wild from lowland to highland conditions, but the Wistuba clone in my hands won't put up with my highland greenhouse.

Apart from that,  humidity is whatever the greenhouse is at, no idea, it's probably all over the place- I don't use any special humidifiers- and light is what the uk weather chooses to give me. So that's pretty dark all winter. But not as dark as in Norway, I imagine. 

• 1 month later...

Christer- sadly, mine is way too young to tell- I've had it barely 12 months now. I think it'll be at least another year before I have any idea whether or not it's the real deal. 

Knutah- I bought this before from Andreas, and it simply failed to thrive as a highlander- it just had all the symptoms of being too cold. Ever since this new one arrived, I've kept it with my lowlanders, which means minimum 18C (in winter, that's 18C exactly for about 5 months). The theory is that this species grows in the wild from lowland to highland conditions, but the Wistuba clone in my hands won't put up with my highland greenhouse.

Apart from that,  humidity is whatever the greenhouse is at, no idea, it's probably all over the place- I don't use any special humidifiers- and light is what the uk weather chooses to give me. So that's pretty dark all winter. But not as dark as in Norway, I imagine. 

Hi! 

Sorry for the (very) late reply, life has been a bit hectic around here. :) I see. I'll be keeping my plants on a windowsill with the rest probably, although I do have a 'terrarium' in the makings.. For now it's just an aquarium with some plants in it (d.capensis and a n.hookeriana) that is situated behind a windowsill on a desk. You are correct about the winters in Norway, it is quite dark here for some months.. So I will probably look into making the aquarium into a proper terrarium, with proper lights and all. Wouldn't have the first clue as to what kinds of lights I'd have to get, or how to mount the damn things though. A _lot_ of information on the subject online, and everyone seems to have differing opinions. 

Anyhow, my new plants have arrived! They looked absolutely beautiful when I first got them, with several open pitchers each. I'm very pleased with Wistuba in that regard, the plants were healthy and growing, and everything was packaged very nicely. Like an idiot, I didn't really acclimatize the plants before potting them - I simply made some potting mix and stuck them in pots - and left them on the windowsill with everything else for a few days - until I realized that I probably should leave them in the shade for some days to let them get used to seeing light again. Anyhow, and not surprisingly, all the pitchers died off..Live and learn, I guess! If I order more plants, I'll make sure to be more gentle in the transitioning from transport packaging to windowsill (or terrarium..?) conditions.The plants seem to have handled my brutal treatment fairly well though - they are all putting out new leaves, and it looks like they are slowly starting to consider pitchering as well! Lucky for me that I chose to buy from Wistuba really - because if the plants hadn't been top notch, I suspect I might have killed them all the way I treated them. :( As you can imagine, the plants aren't much to look at at the moment, but I'll make sure to take some pictures when (..if?) they put out some pitchers. :) If anyone wants to see the poor things as they are now, I can be persuaded into taking some photos though. :P 

This summer has been very hot here in Norway, and so I've moved my venus flytrap and my largest plant, the ventrata, outside. They've both been sitting outside in full sun, through rain and wind, and seem to be enjoying themselves. I never imagined that the ventrata would catch as many bugs as it has though - there are 4-5 big pitchers on the plant at the moment, and they're all full of wasps, ants, spiders .. you get the picture. The young "alata" (...or ventrata, time will tell!) is also doing great, and has put out some great looking pitchers during the last month or so. XD11CZG.jpg I quite like this young plant, wether it's an alata or a ventrata. It's small in height, but it's putting out new leaves like crazy without the stem growing much at all - and it's pitchering like nobody's business. Got to love it. 

As I mentioned, I stuffed the hookeriana inside the 'terrarium' (aquarium). I keep the humidity in there really high, and the temperatures are also often quite high in there. (25+ celsius now at summer time. Will be closer to 20~ C in winter. I just shoved the hookeriana in there as an experiment more than anything really, since it hadn't been doing anything for a while. Now it's finally starting to pitcher, although I'm almost hesitant to call it that - as the pitchers are *TINY*, even for such a small plant. It almost looks comical. I'm glad it's doing something, but I'm not sure if it's better to keep it in the aquarium or just let it sit with the other plants on the sill. I figured the high humidity (60-70%) would do it good, and from what I'm seeing it HAS done something - but I'm just not sure if it would have done even better on the windowsill..  Hrm. I should probably invest in another hygrometer so I can see what sort of humidity the other plants are experiencing.

Phew! This post turned out to be longer than I had planned. Keep in mind that I'm still a beginner at this hobby, so there's no need to tell me I've been an idiot for not being more gentle to the plants or such, I'm already well aware :P