Sign in to follow this  
Little-Bacchus

Panic! Help Needed

Looking at my little D. capensis today I have seen many of the ends of the tentacles where the mucus comes from have turned black and some of the new leaves coming out look black!!!!!

Are they done for, is it a fungus, black root rot!!!

REALLY don't want to lose the first lot I have got to grow.

Any help more than welcome.

Any chance you could post a photo? I'm sure that would give people more to go on

Any chance you could post a photo? I'm sure that would give people more to go on

Little fuzzy but the best I could do at the time...

As for watering and such they are kept wet with rain water and on a sunny south facing windowsill, with all the good weather we have been having on warm day they are outside and then taken back in before the sun goes down.

Photo0682.jpg

Photo0684.jpg

Edited by Little-Bacchus

"kept wet with rain water and on a sunny south facing windowsill, with all the good weather we have been having on warm day they are outside and then taken back in before the sun goes down."

Could you be more precise about "kept wet", what exactly is your watering regime and what sort of humidity levels do you have in your room/windowsill. Is there any kind of central heating or log fire in operation? I had similar problems with D. aliciaea after we installed a log burner, the air was just too dry despite the fact that the plants were "kept wet". All my Drosera are now in greenhouses and doing OK.

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

It could be due to you moving the plant and the wind or sun has "burnt" the newly forming leaves.As Stephen says leave it in one place where its happy.

Are those small aphids on the plant or just moss fragments? Two on the right hand stalk and one on the curled black leaf?

ada

• Like 1

Could you be more precise about "kept wet",

Well they are in a pots in a tray and the water level is never lower than half way up the pots. As for humidity it is in the kitchen so has the highest humidity in the house not sure on just how much but the air isn't dry from heating.

It could be due to you moving the plant and the wind or sun has "burnt" the newly forming leaves.As Stephen says leave it in one place where its happy.

Are those small aphids on the plant or just moss fragments? Two on the right hand stalk and one on the curled black leaf?

ada

Just moss bits I keep a keen eye out for aphids and the only ones I have seen have been in the traps lol.

Well it looks like they will be missing out on the great sunshine we are having and will stay on the windowsill for a while :(  I hope they bounce back from this...

I would agree with GofE and Ada. As the leaves grow they adapt to the conditions they are in. If moved to a dryer sunnier location with higher UV they cant adapt quick enough and burn. Ive seen it too in many other types of plants including yuccas and cacti as well as VFTs

• Like 1

I would agree with GofE and Ada. As the leaves grow they adapt to the conditions they are in. If moved to a dryer sunnier location with higher UV they cant adapt quick enough and burn. Ive seen it too in many other types of plants including yuccas and cacti as well as VFTs

I was thinking sun burn but thought Drosera was a little tougher. I guess lesson learned the hard way but if like other plants they should make it and just hope the worst is they have been put back a little in growth.

Not so much the sun as the humidity drop when placed outside due to increased air movement I suspect.

If I didn't know better I'd be convinced D. capensis evolved specifically to grow on windowsills.

With a South facing windowsill you'll get pretty good results. Out of curiosity what growing media are they planted in?

It's easy to over-fuss with these things, but it's better to just set them up and leave them to it..

Edited by Ordovic