Yet another nep identification thread!

Knutah

Ah, okay =) Well, I suppose that might work, but I'd think the extra shipping costs would far outweigh whatever price difference there is between wistuba and carnisana anyway. Would make for an interesting experiment though!

I'll try ordering a Fusca from wistuba, and maybe something else while I'm at it :) Any other suggestions? 

Btw thanks again for helping me out here, appreciate it =)

EDIT: 

Ordered a fusca from Wistuba! A shame they didn't have sphagnum at the moment, as I'm unsure where I can buy sphagnum in Norway. Garden centres don't seem to sell the stuff! :/ They do sell regular peat though.. x_x

I have the devils own job finding sphagnum moss myself. usually I only ever get it wrapped around the roots of plats I've bought. as for other suggestions, bokorensis is (I find) easy peasy to grow, maxima and to an extent truncata also have reputations for being good beginners plants. bit of a left field suggestion but boschiana might work out for you. I got recommended it when I was first starting out. still haven't got one though :P

I have the devils own job finding sphagnum moss myself. usually I only ever get it wrapped around the roots of plats I've bought. as for other suggestions, bokorensis is (I find) easy peasy to grow, maxima and to an extent truncata also have reputations for being good beginners plants. bit of a left field suggestion but boschiana might work out for you. I got recommended it when I was first starting out. still haven't got one though :P

What do you pot your plants in then? I see most 'guides' and such praising live sphagnum / milled sphagnum as if it's some sort of religion! 

What do you pot your plants in then? I see most 'guides' and such praising live sphagnum / milled sphagnum as if it's some sort of religion!

a loose mix of orchid bark and perlite and milled sphagnum. I buy it ready mixed from south west carnivorous plants :smile: it works well for me but I've always wanted to try live sphag

a loose mix of orchid bark and perlite and milled sphagnum. I buy it ready mixed from south west carnivorous plants :smile: it works well for me but I've always wanted to try live sphag

ah, I see :) Well, I know there's supposedly tons of sphagnum in forests all around Norway - probably some close to here as well. Maybe I could grab a fist full when noone's looking and grow a bunch of it myself :P Other than that, I don't know. I guess I could use a mix consisting of orchid bark, perlite and peat. Think that would do? 

I guess i'm lucky, my local pet store gets live sphagnum moss in for me at £5 for 2 litres and its good stuff too. 50-50 peat perlite mix is always a safe start in my opinion though.

I guess i'm lucky, my local pet store gets live sphagnum moss in for me at £5 for 2 litres and its good stuff too. 50-50 peat perlite mix is always a safe start in my opinion though.

I wouldn't fancy such a heavy mix as 50:50 peat perlite for nepenthes. For me It needs to be lighter than that ideally.

Hmm, I didn't really consider petstores. I should probably go to a petstore and see if they have some of the stuff. I guess people might use it for ..tarantulas and lizards and such? :) 

@19Silverman93: How about a 1:3 split; orchid bark/peat/perlite?

I've recently discovered a sphagnum grower on Ebay who just happens to live not 10 minutes away. I nipped over yesterday to pick up 10kg and it was the freshest, lightest, fluffiest sphag i've personally seen. The seller was recommended to me by FredG, so maybe it's time to get an Ebay account if you haven't already Sam ? I also buy my orchid bark from Ebay in 70 litre bulk bags, and my charcoal in 9kg bags. Works out much cheaper in the long run :smile:

@19Silverman93: How about a 1:3 split; orchid bark/peat/perlite?

I like the sound of that better :smile:
  • Like 1

I like the sound of that better :smile:

Okay, good stuff! 

By the way guys, I have a confession to make. When I first bought my n. x ventrata I hadn't really bothered reading up on these plants at all. The plant looked too big for its container, so I decided to repot it. And this is where my confession gets embarassing.

You know how every single website that contains information about nepenthes tells you NOT to _EVER_ pot nepenthes it in fertilized potting soil? Guess what I did! I potted the poor thing in potting soil. And it still sits in potting soil 0=)  I didn't remove the soil the plant came in, simply filled a pot with potting soil and stuffed the plant in there. By now you're probably thinking of ways to express what a slobbering idiot I am, but hold on and keep reading! Strange thing is that the plant still lives. In fact it's grown at least 15cm or so in the time I've had it, which I guess is getting close to 8 months or so now. It didn't put out any new pitchers in wintertime, but I'm pretty sure that's just a matter of the plant not getting enough light / humidity. Norway is quite dark in wintertime, at least where I live, and the room the plant is in might be a tad (or four) on the dry side at winter. 

Anwyays, back to the present. The plant looks just fine, and has begun a pitchering spree. There's at least 4 new pitchers forming, and the leaves have just been getting bigger while I've had the plant. I guess this plant may be a freak of nature, since it hasn't keeled over and died yet, but anyways. When I get the n.fusca I will repot the poor ventrata as well. The soil it's in is quite dense and compact, and I don't think it'll be fine in that sort of soil in the long run. It might even grow faster in new and more appropriate soil, although I must say that I think it's growing plenty fast as it is :P

So there, that's my horrible sin. I have no explanation as to why the plant isn't dead, but I'm just going to assume that this plant is the honeybadger of the plant world. It just does not give a truck. I'll make it up to it though, I swear. Maybe this will be a formative experience in the life of the young plant? 

Anyways, time to end this wall of text - I'm pretty much just rambling by now. Working on my bachelor's thesis has driven me somewhat insane. 

I'll end the post with a couple of pictures of the poor, mistreated and abused plant. Pic #1: 3 pitchers that are forming, Pic #2:the jump in leaf size when I got it and stuffed it in poison: 

bPYqUDi.jpg

nM1zLh4.jpg?1

It is a ventrata mate!  It is the toughest nep there is.  It should be used for experiments like this.  Some people believe if you give nepenthes fertilizer, they will stop pitchering....  I don't think so, but I wonder if the leaves will get bigger?

It is a ventrata mate!  It is the toughest nep there is.  It should be used for experiments like this.  Some people believe if you give nepenthes fertilizer, they will stop pitchering....  I don't think so, but I wonder if the leaves will get bigger?

Well, the next leaves on my plant definitely got bigger when I repotted it.. But then again I repotted it the same day I bought it, so it could be a number of things causing that. I wouldn't know if nepenthes in general will die from fertilizing, but I don't really think it would. From my perspective, it looks like nepenthes grows in all sorts of places where decaying organic matter is all over the place. Those plants thrive - so why would it stop pitchering if it's given a little bit of fertilizer?

Anyhow, if my ventrata was going to die from the potting soil it sits in, it would probably have done so already - and so I'm not really in a huge rush to repot it out of fertilizer fear. The soil has become quite compact though, and that is more of a concern. Even if it's a lowly gardencentre nep hybrid, I do like the plant, so I will make an effort to repot it pretty soon. The plant has survived being overwatered, underwatered, planted in potting soil - not to mention I've watered it with tap water since I got it. No worries there though, the water here is quite low ppm. (I water D.capensis, a pingicula and a VFT, as well as my hookeriana with it as well, and nothing's died so far anyhow)

Many Nepenthes will grow in just about anything except completely waterlogged soil and there are even a few species that dont mind that.

Lots of people fertilize their nepenthes as well, normally i dont simply because i find they grow well enough without and i never get around to it.

If the potting compost was leaf mould / peat or similar with a bit of fertilzer thrown in i dont see any reason at all why it would be a problem.

If the fertilizer strength was too high, or contained high levels of urea, then it could potentially damage the roots, a good flushing out with rainwater (or tap water) would wash most of the fertilizer away.

Hmm, I didn't really consider petstores. I should probably go to a petstore and see if they have some of the stuff. I guess people might use it for ..tarantulas and lizards and such? :)

yeah it sells all sorts for lizards and tarantulas mainly i guess people use it for "bedding" if that's what you call it for those types of pet.