Yet another nep identification thread!

Knutah

Hey!

I've bought another nep from my local garden centre, and I'm not quite sure what it is. The nursery that delivers the plants to the garden centre sends neps and other carnivorous plants in mixed batches, and they don't label the plants with exact species. 

From their website (http://www.lammehave.dk/index.php?page=nepenthes) it looks like they only deal in ventrata, alata, veitchiana (whatever that is, didn't turn up many results on google), sanguinea and mirabilis. 

The top one is the new one, and the one that I'm interested in getting identified, the bottom one is one I've had for a while that I think is a hookeriana - although the colors remind me more of the mirabilis example the nursery has on it's page - so it would be nice if someone could "reconfirm" that it's a hookeriana :) 

The one in the bottom seems kind of cramped in it's pot btw. Should I repot it?

JK7pOeI.jpg

o5rk3xd.jpg 

Edited by Knutah

They're both pretty young with immature pitchers. You might have to wait a few months until larger, more mature pitchers appear for anyone to be able to give a definitive ID.

Oh, okay :)  Thanks a lot for the answer mate. I'll just have to be patient then! :D

Well, in my quest for answers I e-mailed the nursery, and they got back to me today: The first one is apparantly an Alata according to them. They didn't answer as for what the second one is. 

I'm hoping the second one is a hookeriana, I've seen some pictures of those when they're "fully grown", and the pitchers look great in my opinion :) 

If there isn't any hair, the "alata" could also be a hybrid or possibly N. graciliflora.

The second one is most likely a Hookeriana. The pot is big enough for a year or two yet.

Oh, good! The plant seems to be doing fairly well, hoping it'll grow quite large in time =) I'd be very happy if it ever got to a similar size and coloration of the plant shown on this link (from cp photo finder) :) 

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_22fioa-xGvc/Sytl9fRcjVI/AAAAAAAAFV4/JSAXvjfyeHw/s512/IMG_1610.JPG

If there isn't any hair, the "alata" could also be a hybrid or possibly N. graciliflora.

The pitchers have hairs along the back. :) 

any garden centre "alatas" are usually x ventrata

Would be a shame if it's a ventrata, but I guess that's just the risk one takes when impulse-shopping carnivorous plants @ the garden centre. :P

I already have a x ventrata, and to be honest this new one looks a bit different, at least in my eyes. The pitchers have quite a lot of hairs in two columns along the back side, and the shape seems to be slightly ..longer than the ventrata. Might just be the fact that it's a young plant though. The nursery that provides the plants to the garden centre has confirmed it as an alata, but I think I'll just have to wait and see =)

If that's really an alata then I'm a baboons great aunt.

Well, judging by your constructive and helpful post - I'd say that's a definite possibility. Care to elaborate? 

Regarding wether or not it's an actual alata or not, it doesn't really matter that much to me. So far the pitchers look slightly different from my ventrata - but as I understand it that may just be due to the young age of the plant. I see no reason for the nursery to lie to me though, since the plant was bought with a simple label reading "nepenthes". If they thought it was one of their ventratas they would've just said so. Then again, people make mistakes ^^; 

Well, judging by your constructive and helpful post - I'd say that's a definite possibility. Care to elaborate? 

Regarding wether or not it's an actual alata or not, it doesn't really matter that much to me. So far the pitchers look slightly different from my ventrata - but as I understand it that may just be due to the young age of the plant. I see no reason for the nursery to lie to me though, since the plant was bought with a simple label reading "nepenthes". If they thought it was one of their ventratas they would've just said so. Then again, people make mistakes ^^; 

seeing as my attempt at humour went straight over your head I think I'd better. It's widely known that all over europe x ventrata gets systematically mislabelled by the nurseries that mass produce these plants for garden centres as alata, hence my scepicism. hell my own ventrata was sold as alata

seeing as my attempt at humour went straight over your head I think I'd better. It's widely known that all over europe x ventrata gets systematically mislabelled by the nurseries that mass produce these plants for garden centres as alata, hence my scepicism. hell my own ventrata was sold as alata

I was just being sarcastic mate. Reason I asked for an elaboration was that you perhaps saw something which I didn't =p I'm sure you get a ton of these silly "identify my ventrata" threads on this forum, and I'm sorry to be yet another newbie bothering you guys with my questions. That being said, here's another silly question: What is the difference between an alata and a ventrata? How do you tell the two apart?

EDIT: 

http://www.borneoexotics.com/images/catalogue/h-650/0060-12.jpg

Judging by this photo from borneo exotics, the ventrata seems to be hairy whereas the ventrata (at least the one in my posession!) is not. If I'm not mistaken, the alatas pitchers seems less 'pot bellied' as well. Additionally, the opening of the pitcher seems different than the ventrata. Bleh, this is confusing stuff!

Edited by Knutah

I was just being sarcastic mate. Reason I asked for an elaboration was that you perhaps saw something which I didn't =p I'm sure you get a ton of these silly "identify my ventrata" threads on this forum, and I'm sorry to be yet another newbie bothering you guys with my questions. That being said, here's another silly question: What is the difference between an alata and a ventrata? How do you tell the two apart?

EDIT:

http://www.borneoexotics.com/images/catalogue/h-650/0060-12.jpg

Judging by this photo from borneo exotics, the ventrata seems to be hairy whereas the ventrata (at least the one in my posession!) is not. If I'm not mistaken, the alatas pitchers seems less 'pot bellied' as well. Additionally, the opening of the pitcher seems different than the ventrata. Bleh, this is confusing stuff!

Sorry if I was a bit grumpy with you,bad day at the office for me and sarcasm doesn't travel well on the net.

I'd genuinely love to be proved wrong here, literally every GC 'alata' a new person has posted since I've been here has been a x ventrata in reality which is the reason for my simian sceptiscism. As for bothering us with questions do feel free to do it again, asking questions is how we learn new things so even if it is a 'silly' question, ask away :smile:

Sorry if I was a bit grumpy with you,bad day at the office for me and sarcasm doesn't travel well on the net.

I'd genuinely love to be proved wrong here, literally every GC 'alata' a new person has posted since I've been here has been a x ventrata in reality which is the reason for my simian sceptiscism. As for bothering us with questions do feel free to do it again, asking questions is how we learn new things so even if it is a 'silly' question, ask away :smile:

Hehe! 

Well, I'll do my best to keep you updated on how the plant looks in the months to come! =) If it's a ventrata I suspect it'll grow like crazy on my windowsill like the larger one I already have does! Thanks for being patient with me btw, I do appreciate it. 

On a completely unrelated topic: I'm considering aquiring another nep for my windowsill of horrors, and I was wondering if there are any more exotic looking species that could be grown on a sill? Would like something that looks different from the ventrata (and "alata") :) 

Edited by Knutah

Hehe!

Well, I'll do my best to keep you updated on how the plant looks in the months to come! =) If it's a ventrata I suspect it'll grow like crazy on my windowsill like the larger one I already have does! Thanks for being patient with me btw, I do appreciate it.

On a completely unrelated topic: I'm considering aquiring another nep for my windowsill of horrors, and I was wondering if there are any more exotic looking species that could be grown on a sill? Would like something that looks different from the ventrata (and "alata") :)

Well my personal reccomendations are either robcantleyi if you're a big spender, its slow but steady and reliable or if your pockets aren't that deep then fusca. Its an often overlooked species IMO, I've found that if you keep it well fed it'll grow fairly quickly.

a couple of cheap windowsill neps are Rebecca Soper (hybrid)or the borneo exotics sanguinea (hybrid)and i have recently started to grow the BE maxima (was thought to be eymae) all these grow and pitcher on my windowsill,and all are here to see http://www.hantsflytrap.com/nepenthes-monkey-cups-14-c.asp,i agree with silverman robc seems to be a good house nep for me too,mine is the only nep i grow that has never failed to produce a pitcher on a leaf,people say its a slow grower ,it is i suppose but when it pitchers they are worth the wait,it also has the ability to double its size in about three leaves,but as silverman said its pricey,i think a maxima would look very different to the plants you grow,and i think the sanguinea and r soper may look too similar to what you already have

Edited by corky

a couple of cheap windowsill neps are Rebecca Soper (hybrid)or the borneo exotics sanguinea (hybrid)and i have recently started to grow the BE maxima (was thought to be eymae) all these grow and pitcher on my windowsill,and all are here to see http://www.hantsflytrap.com/nepenthes-monkey-cups-14-c.asp

Rebecca Soper has been nothing but a nightmare for me personally :(

thats a shame,mine has stacks of pitchers forming at the moment,but seems to loose them in the winter,strange how some plants do well for some and bad for others,

I have a pair of plants, one is coming round I think, it's got some pitchers on the way and a healthy basal but the other just will not behave no matter how much I coddle it or neglect it or do whatever with .

Well my personal reccomendations are either robcantleyi if you're a big spender, its slow but steady and reliable or if your pockets aren't that deep then fusca. Its an often overlooked species IMO, I've found that if you keep it well fed it'll grow fairly quickly.

I'll look into those, thanks! I don't think it's a great idea for me to spend much on nepenthes atm, since I'm still very much a beginner. Fusca does look nice from the pictures I've seen - might consider ordering one of those :) 

I've ordered from carnivoria before and will vouch for them happily, my personal reccomendation is for http://carnisana.pl/ though. fab plants dirt cheap prices and the bloke who runs it couldn't be nicer if he tried.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys!

I live in Norway though, and we're not a part of EU. Does that mean that I could get into trouble by ordering neps here? 

Edit: 

Searched around a bit and found out the following: 

- all living plants imported to Norway have to come with a phytosanitary certificate.

- Artificially bred CITES plant species, orchids among others, can be imported from the following countries without a CITES permit (but with a phytosanitary certificate): Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, Canada, Singapore and South Korea.

I'm quite surprised that the UK isn't on the list of countries where the phytosanitary cert. is enough documentation. I'm not quite sure how CITES works, but as far as I know with my google-based knowledge, all Nepenthes species are on the CITES list(?). 

I guess this means that I will have to order from one of these countries in order to avoid headaches.. x) I guess that leaves that polish site out of the question. Don't seem to find any information regarding where carnivoria.eu is located on their site, but googling around it seems they're located in czech. I guess that leaves me with few options as to where to order from, but I think maybe Wistuba could be an option? 

Edited by Knutah

Thanks for the tips guys!

I live in Norway though, and we're not a part of EU. Does that mean that I could get into trouble by ordering neps here? 

Edit: 

Searched around a bit and found out the following: 

- all living plants imported to Norway have to come with a phytosanitary certificate.

- Artificially bred CITES plant species, orchids among others, can be imported from the following countries without a CITES permit (but with a phytosanitary certificate): Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, Canada, Singapore and South Korea.

I'm quite surprised that the UK isn't on the list of countries where the phytosanitary cert. is enough documentation. I'm not quite sure how CITES works, but as far as I know with my google-based knowledge, all Nepenthes species are on the CITES list(?). 

I guess this means that I will have to order from one of these countries in order to avoid headaches.. x) I guess that leaves that polish site out of the question. Don't seem to find any information regarding where carnivoria.eu is located on their site, but googling around it seems they're located in czech. I guess that leaves me with few options as to where to order from, but I think maybe Wistuba could be an option? 

you are right in thinking that all neps are CITES listed. most are appendix 2 with a few 1's in there too. as for webshops, I think wistuba would be your best bet for nepenthes yeah. and heli's too if you ever take a fancy to them.  

I have wondered about these restrictions sometimes myself and I wonder if you could route the parcel through say luxembourg (to pick at random), so it looks like it came from there and thus avoid the extra paperwork?

you are right in thinking that all neps are CITES listed. most are appendix 2 with a few 1's in there too. as for webshops, I think wistuba would be your best bet for nepenthes yeah. and heli's too if you ever take a fancy to them.  

I have wondered about these restrictions sometimes myself and I wonder if you could route the parcel through say luxembourg (to pick at random), so it looks like it came from there and thus avoid the extra paperwork?

Ah, okay =) Well, I suppose that might work, but I'd think the extra shipping costs would far outweigh whatever price difference there is between wistuba and carnisana anyway. Would make for an interesting experiment though!

I'll try ordering a Fusca from wistuba, and maybe something else while I'm at it :) Any other suggestions? 

Btw thanks again for helping me out here, appreciate it =)

EDIT: 

Ordered a fusca from Wistuba! A shame they didn't have sphagnum at the moment, as I'm unsure where I can buy sphagnum in Norway. Garden centres don't seem to sell the stuff! :/ They do sell regular peat though.. x_x

Edited by Knutah