A couple of lowlanders

19Silverman93

So I finally got the heating on my lowland tank sorted out and it's had a profound effect on many well, all of the plants in there- I've just picked out a couple of stars from the mix, before anyone asks, the aquarium heater in the milk bottle was my first attempt at heating but that barely warmed the tank at all. I've left it in there just cos I can't be arsed unwiring the plug again. the real star of the show is the vivarium heat mat I have on the base of the tank. £20 well spent in my opinion.

First we have N. reinwardtiana- this looked on the verge of keepling over before I rehomed it- definitely NOT a windowsill plant for me but since I put it in the tank it's really bounced back.

jxlVtDu.jpg

Next we have N. x kuchingensis, it was growing slowly and not pitchering at all without supplementary heat but now it's off again and even has a lice little pitcher or two

Gaqg9X3.jpg

as seen here :wink:

MFTuyd5.jpg

a real classic now, N. ampullaria, this one I got as a "harlequin" but it just looks bog standard to me. not complaining though. to be honest I have underestimated the size and speed at which they grow to when they like their home- I always thought it was just talk and they couldn't be that big that quickly. turns out I'm a tit. it's exploded in size (see the leaf jumps?!) and has now produced a gorgeous pitcher with more on the way.

V90dsr9.jpg

said pitcher (sorry for blurriness, these were all taken on my crappy xperia U's camera. I'll go back and re-do this one soon I swear!

mJOPW06.jpg

a while back I split a basal off that amp above and potted it seperately. it's proved a little more tolerant of the iffy conditions than it's mummy but has started looking really nice with a good pitcher open and more definitely on the way

PpB3CUy.jpg

Great pics Sam, and good luck with the new heat mat ! I can't see you having a problem now.

Good to see the kuchingensis is kicking into life too :smile:

Aye I was really pleased to see it get going.how's yours going mate? Got a lowland tank running yet?

Mine has definately picked up since it spent a few months in the heated propagator over winter, although it's now sitting in the (currently unheated) greenhouse with everything else and seems to be hanging in there, which i'm hoping will remain the case through the summer until i get all the necessary electrics installed. I think it's got about 4 pitchers on, i'll grab a photo tomorrow if i think on.

As for the indoor tank, that'll have to wait until the greenhouse is finished. But it's something i still intend to do, as i need at least a few neps to admire when i'm stuck indoors :laugh2:

• Like 1

As promised, here's a pic of my kuchingensis which has also just started pitchering.

NkuchingensisMay2014a_zps29ce32dc.jpg

And whilst i had the camera out, my other lowlanders, first rafflesiana

NrafflesianaMay2014_zps8b2cdb3f.jpg

And hookeriana.....

NhookerianaMay2014a_zps62514f0f.jpg

As i've said, they're hanging in there but doing nothing spectacular yet. Hopefully the heater will help strike a nice balance when it's installed. They'll be going back indoors to the lowland tank eventually where they should like it better.

• Like 1

As promised, here's a pic of my kuchingensis which has also just started pitchering.

NkuchingensisMay2014a_zps29ce32dc.jpg

And whilst i had the camera out, my other lowlanders, first rafflesiana

NrafflesianaMay2014_zps8b2cdb3f.jpg

And hookeriana.....

NhookerianaMay2014a_zps62514f0f.jpg

As i've said, they're hanging in there but doing nothing spectacular yet. Hopefully the heater will help strike a nice balance when it's installed. They'll be going back indoors to the lowland tank eventually where they should like it better.

let me know when you have your tank running and you can have that baby amp of mine if you want (if it's not too big to fit in your tank by then lol :D )

Well an amp and a bical are on my wants list to place in the tank along with the above, so cheers Sam, you offer is very much appreciated :smile:

if I had a bical to offer you could have that too- I have one tiny one at the moment but I know I won't be able to keep it long term because they grow to such a mahoosive size. makes me a bit sad really :(

Nice plants! My neps have liked the heated terrarium, too. I just recently finished my terrarium heating system. A bit different, no heat mats outside of the tank but self-made 12 V heater units inside. I also have a Kuchingensis:

N_Kuchingensis17.jpg

• Like 1

Nice plants! My neps have liked the heated terrarium, too. I just recently finished my terrarium heating system. A bit different, no heat mats outside of the tank but self-made 12 V heater units inside. I also have a Kuchingensis:

N_Kuchingensis17.jpg

I bet your tank is a bit more polished than my rough and ready design :wink: I like kuchingensis- it has lovely squat pitchers. i just hope mine looks as nice as yours one day :D

if I had a bical to offer you could have that too- I have one tiny one at the moment but I know I won't be able to keep it long term because they grow to such a mahoosive size. makes me a bit sad really :(

Well i only meant the amp anyway, but i could always look after your bical in the greenhouse for you when it gets too big, and i'll let you visit once in a while to look at it :laugh2: