Very broad, flat lying leaves?

Martin W

Hi,

My VFT has traps on the end of very broad, stumpy looking leaves which lay flat on the surface of the compost. It doesn't look anything like the plants shown with vibrant, strong leaves projecting the trap into the air.

Is this a sign of deficiency of some kind, or is it just the variety of plant?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Trev

I've only had it a month or so. It spent the first fortnight on the west facing kitchen windowsill, now it is outside and gets a good chunk of sun (if it ever comes out).

I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Thanks

Martin

leaf shape can vary considerably over the season depending on the genetics of the individual plants. many of my typical vfts show short broad leaves in the spring and longer ones in the summer whilst others are more or less the same all through the growing season. If they look healthy theres nothing to worry about.

now ou have then in the sun you may notice them becoming less green and more yellowish, this too s normal for many vfts, possibly because they need less chlorophyll in direct sun and higher amounts of other pigments that have a protective effect bit like a sun block

Perfectly normal for typical VFT's. Leaves with longer more upright petioles are usually only produced during summer (over the next month they should start to meet your expectations). If the plant continues to produce wide petioles (and there is no reddening at all of the traps) it might indicate a lack of sunlight. However, there are a few varieties that only produce the 'Spring & Autumn' rosetted leaves over the entire season. 

That looks fairly typical for spring growth. There is a bit of rot on one of the new petioles, I'd remove that before it spreads, and ease back on the water. Looks like you have it potted in just peat? A 50/50 mix of peat and perlite or sand is better.

You are usually better off re-potting it sooner rather than later in the growing season as the roots also get longer as the weather gets warmer.  Deeper pots with a lower water level should help avoid the rotting of the new growth, a long with a better mix.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I meant to post ages ago. I repotted in a mix of sphagnum moss and vermiculite. It's now in a pot about 6" across instead of the tiny thing it came in. I washed all the peat off with distilled water before repotting.

To be honest, it's not growing very vigorously despite being outside for at least a month. Is it still too soon in the year, or is it shock from being repotted? Could the vermiculite be a bad thing for it?

Guest paul y

vermiculite is generally avoided as it eventually turns to mush and raises the ph over time, it makes the potting mix more alkaline which is not good for vfts,  50/50 mix of peat and perlite,  although ian salter is having very impressive results in just peat,  I have seen the trials personally and ian is certainly onto something with it.

regards paul