Anyone recommend a good pen for plant tags

I guess any permanent fine nib marker pen would do the job ? I use a Staedtler Lumocolor Ultra Fine which does the job for me. Even though the ink is permanent, i've found the writing will rub off quite easily using lighter fluid, a bit of kitchen roll, and a tiny bit of elbow grease, enabling the tags to be reused.

http://www.staedtler.com/en/products/markers-refill-ink/universal-pens/lumocolor-permanent-cd-dvd-310-cddvd-pen/

Edited by Welshy

my vfts are out in the sun and rain all year round, so a traditional soft pencil does the job for meas Its fade proof. my main prblem is the tags start to disintegrate in the sun after about two years, need to test out some different types

my main prblem is the tags start to disintegrate in the sun after about two years, need to test out some different types

Have you tried Wells & Winter

http://www.wellsandwinter.co.uk/products.asp?catID=1&catName=Plastic Labels

They do a wide range of types and colours. The standard label comes in small medium and large.

The small are only £23 for 1000 - so 3p each.

Much better than the standard crap sold in garden centres etc. Which like you say, disintegrate after a couple of years.

I've invested in a labelling machine and it's excellent because you can use it for labelling all sorts of things!

I bought a handheld Brother label printer cheap in Lidl some years ago and I also use that for plant labels. The width of the 12mm tape supplied with it is perfect for standard plastic plant labels.

• Like 1

Have you tried Wells & Winter

http://www.wellsandwinter.co.uk/products.asp?catID=1&catName=Plastic Labels

They do a wide range of types and colours. The standard label comes in small medium and large.

The small are only £23 for 1000 - so 3p each.

Much better than the standard crap sold in garden centres etc. Which like you say, disintegrate after a couple of years.

thanks, ill give them a try next time i run out

I bought a handheld Brother label printer cheap in Lidl some years ago and I also use that for plant labels. The width of the 12mm tape supplied with it is perfect for standard plastic plant labels.

yes the Brother printers are great, never yet found a pen that lasts so its Brother labels or pencil. If considering a Brother printer, have a look at the 1230PC model, you can get it very cheap sometimes and you can plug it into PC, very quick and you can save a lot of tape as it can print labels close together.

• Like 2

yes the Brother printers are great, never yet found a pen that lasts so its Brother labels or pencil. If considering a Brother printer, have a look at the 1230PC model, you can get it very cheap sometimes and you can plug it into PC, very quick and you can save a lot of tape as it can print labels close together.

I couldn't be without my Brother label printer, the only disadvantage is the price of the tape but you can find good deals on eBay. I had a 1230PC before I upgraded and they are very good and like Stephen says are available cheaply.

Edited by Elliot

Ps this was not my idea!

What? the idea of the labelling machine or the great name that poor dog got?   ;-)

Otherwise, it's soft pencil for me too.

What? the idea of the labelling machine or the great name that poor dog got?   ;-)

Otherwise, it's soft pencil for me too.

lol! It wasn't my idea to stick the label on  her head. Her name is Sprocket. :)

Guest paul y

go into wilkinsons around November time, its when they sell off all there garden stuff, last time I bought packs of 50 labels each pack with its own pencil! for 10p a pack, £7 later and im labelled for life!

plus being cack handed means any type of pen just smears for me

regards paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've started using black tags and a white tip-ex type pen, an idea I got of a tag on a plant I bought. don't know how long they will last.

I've started using black tags and a white tip-ex type pen, an idea I got of a tag on a plant I bought. don't know how long they will last.

I've seen a few like this and I like the look.