cross pollinating

bugmuncher

hi guys and girls i have a couple of sarracenia which are about to flower for the first time , i would like to cross pollinate them but not sure how to go about doing it , can anyone give me any tips please

thanks

Dave

On flower one, lift a petal and scoop up the pollen in the umbrella with a paintbrush.

On flower two, dab the five stigmas with the paintbrush. They are the bump on each of the five inner 'arms' of the umbrella.

• Like 1

Best to avoid inbreeding!

I'm sorry but have to disagree.

Selfed plants can produce interesting results and display recessive traits like anthocyanin free plants.

For example MK-PP6 S. purpurea ssp purpurea is actually heterozygous, I discovered this after the plant was selfed with the seedlings being a percent of anthocyanin free plants.

In the wild many populations will be proportunately hybrids either directly or distantly apart from remote populations of single genera as far as I know.

Natural selection will always favour diversity and yes you can get weaker offspring but it is still nice to see what is in there.

I think every apparent variety, form or subspecies should be selfed the one time just for the hell of it and because you just never know.

Just my non academic opinion.

What are your thoughts guys?

Ian.

Edited by Ian Salter
  • Like 2

Self pollination (selfing) is a common practice in plant breeding for the reason you stated i.e. it reveals recessive characteristics that are hidden in the heterozygous form.

I have to agree with Ian,Alexis.

We have been here before,  Inbreeding concentrates the good and bad genes.

You can and do get a lot of rubbish plants produced but you might just get a stunner!

Don't forget even crossing two unrelated beautiful sarracenia will produce a lot of average looking plants.

ada

Ah, I was just under the impression you've got more chance of a greater number of poorer individuals. I've never tried selfing, just assuming you'd have less chance of producing something decent.

You are right Alexis and if for example you self an S. flava var flava you may well get all similar offspring but then others may produce more variability and occasionally the odd freak or strange colour.

I have collected seed from a few open pollinated plants one namely S. flava var flava,Dinwiddie Bog, not knowing if this was crossed or selfed I have regardless grown the seedlings on and although a majority have the characteristic shape there are a few that are all green as in var maxima but it is early yet for final colour.

Ian.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with mantrid that in some cases it is worth to try selfing, in order to unveil recessive character states.

My first pollinisation attempt (several years ago) was selfing a bad clone of moorei. The resulting plants were not strong growers but they included two nice plants, far more beautiful than their mother-father.

After that, I selfed S. flava 'Slack's maxima'. The resulting seedlings are extremely vigorous, well over average Sarracenia seedlings.

Last year, I selfed the mythic S. x Adrian Slack, with over 100 seeds as a result. So far, I have got a bad rate of germination (only 20 seedlings). They are not very strong, but not truly weak either. Anyway, my objective here was not to create strong growers but beautiful plants. I will be patient and give them their chance.

So selfing may result in weaker plants, but not always.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that selfing does provide some interesting specimens and hold genes that are useful.

Out of interest I was watching the bees at work on my outdoor Sarrs yesterday, a large number of the bees I watched flew in from outside the bog area and proceeded to do the things bees do, and in the manner that the one way system that is the sarracenia flower, allows. Now these critters seem to want to mess up the flower design by going in, coming out, then moving round the same flower and going back in again, one of them did this six times to the same flower. So a conclusion is that the flower is designed not to 'self' itself but no one has told the pollinaters the rules. I grow a lot of my open pollinated seed just because I enjoy the fun and the lottery of it, but it does make you wonder how many are their own parents.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

I think he means that when you have a pure species (non-hybrid), the question arises: Is this plant the product of self-pollination, or are mother and father two individual plants.

Edited by Amar

• 2 months later...

I have tried this three times.

Twice for a week just in the fridge and both these attempts failed.

This year i tried storing the pollen in the freezer for 1 month,i am still waiting for the seed pods to ripen.

I am not hopeful though,as this clone has never produced any seed that i know of.

ada