Cooling systems

Now, I've read a lot of people's ingenious (and sometimes ridiculous) ideas on how they are attempting to cool their highland terrariums, and I would love to see some pics/descriptions of some of your most effective designs. Time to show off your engineering skills!

-Danny

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I destroyed an old fridge and put the cooling part inside my terrarium.   :smile:  It's on a thermostat that has different settings for day and night temps. During the day it keeps the temperature at 22 celsius, and during the night it goes down to about 13 celsius. It might not look that pretty, but my plants love it!

6923551049_05c382ea54_o.png

6777438374_081d7974f3_o.png

• Like 1

I'm also interested in cooling my highland terrarium, but I am considering using water evaporation system, like CELdek panels (cellulose paper sheets).

This is working very well with greenhouses, but did anybody tried with a terrarium?

By the way, if anybody has some left overs CELdek panels (about 40cm large, 60-100cm high), I'm interested!  ;-)

Hi Vincent

Terrarium growing I know little about, I'm afraid, but evaporative cooling I do. It is all dependant on the humidity level and temperatures you wish to maintain, the higher the humidity the less cooling effect you get, so if it is a 'closed' type housing and indeed as terrariums tend to be, a small area and volume, the humidity would rise rapidly leading to a negligable cooling effect I'm afraid.

Cheers

Steve

@billynomates666: thanks for the information. Actually, I plan to put the system (something like the one of Ruben) on my balcony during the hot season. The air would come from outside, so the system would not be a closed one. So it should be OK.

@Ruben Resendiz: finally I found someone with such system!!! It looks great! Did you build it yourself?

Do you have data about external/internal temperatures?

What is the thickness of the pannel?

And maybe pictures of the details of the system (like the water circulation system)? Feel free to put a lot of information/advices      ;-)

Edited by vincent

To Ruben Resendiz: Nice looking system! What is the power input of the cooling approximately?

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, it seems that Ruben is not around to answer...  ;-)

Does anybody know where to buy "small" pieces of Celdek pannels? Something like 30 cm x 60 cm x 15 cm thick. I've been asked for 90 EUR including shipment, which sounds very expensive to me!

I destroyed an old fridge and put the cooling part inside my terrarium.   :smile:  It's on a thermostat that has different settings for day and night temps. During the day it keeps the temperature at 22 celsius, and during the night it goes down to about 13 celsius. It might not look that pretty, but my plants love it!

6923551049_05c382ea54_o.png

6777438374_081d7974f3_o.png

Super sebulon system, how did you manage to twist the freezer part without fluid leaks?

I rebuilt my system for my highland cold right now and I'll have to do the same thing as you, I would not make a stupidity ...