Booman's Mutant - a new cultivar from FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare

I obtained this plant from Milo Booman, owner of Booman's floral (a large commercial carnivorous plant vendor) back in April 2012. It's a pretty unusual flytrap. The traps are shaped similarly to Korean Melody Shark, with short to non-existent marginal spines, but it doesn't grow quite as upright nor spaghetti-like leaves like Korean Melody Shark. Also the trigger hairs are kind of odd, showing up near the edge of the trap or in large quantities. I kind of like this little mutant :)

768116da1428119192c971d7.jpg

160573581c640dd66ec28cda.jpg

bb1afe0b40a8387f3994c5f2.jpg

What do you all think?

• Like 3

Booman's Mutant looks like it has the best of the distinctive characteristics of both Korean Melody Shark and Bart Simpson (Wacky Traps) without the individual disadvantages of both those clones.

Neat, Matt. I'm not fond of the "freaks," but this looks like a freak I could like.

Edited by FlytrapRanch
  • Like 1

its a nice plant with consistent, more natural looking characteristic. certainly one for the collection. What size are the adult traps?

I don't know if the plant is full sized yet, and I haven't measured the traps, but I'd guess the largest ones are currently somewhere around 30mm.

Looks nice. Do the traps work?

Yep, the traps are functional!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd post a couple more photos of the plant during the growing season. I have been growing the plant for a couple of seasons now and it seems that it produces different traps throughout the growing season. As can be seen in the photos above, the winter traps hug the ground and have almost no marginal spines. As the spring traps emerge, they appear to have some small marginal spines and a very odd-shape. See the below photos:

2931c7fed566e6e927e02b77.jpg

047cffee544688f9c6b3333e.jpg

Something else of interest to note is that Booman's Mutant seems to somewhat predictably produce the tri-lobed traps. Each of the divisions I have produced one this spring and I recall a couple being produced last year as well. Very cool!