Looking for advice on what greenhouse make/model to buy (in UK)

I'm looking to buy a ~6' x ~10' greenhouse and would like some recommendation on make/model. My garden is VERY windy and I also have kids, so it would need to be tough and sturdy. I intend placing it on a block and slab base. I don't have a bucket of money though, so looking for something that it value for money - and doesn't need a degree in mechanical engineering to work out how to assemble!

I know that greenhouses can be bought cheaply secondhand, but I really don't have the time nor transport to do this. I am therefore looking to buy a new one.

Recommendations for a supplier who can deliver nationally would be useful too.

Our first greenhouse a few years ago was a 6' x 8' Elite High Eaves with black powder coating (which looks better but does begin to peel a bit after a while). Not the cheapest on the market but the quality was very good and the extra height was very useful. there's lots of options such as bar-capping for fixing the glazing instead of clips, gutter kits, shelving etc etc so the price can mount up when you add up all the "essentials". The spec has changed slightly in that they now have a low threshold but otherwise it looks pretty much the same. The only reason I changed was because I outgrew it in time but I'd still be happy to recommend it. You'd need to check delivery as parts of Scotland are not included in the price, it looks like Aberdeen is sometimes inclusive and sometimes not.

We bought external blinds (Rhino I think) which were excellent for shading and, being external, keeping the temperatures reasonable in summer.

What are opinions on horticultural glass, toughened glass and polycarbonate? Safety wise the latter would appear to be best, but are they more likely to blow out in high winds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Olivermurray7373

another greenhouse in Scotland yay! At the same time as me aswell, No surprise it's windy :) GUMTREE !! Don't waste your money buying one new I got my 6x 8 for £50 just a month ago have a look ps I think that glass is best. There is some good ones in Aberdeen and they don't sell to quickly unlike Central Scotland. Hope it goes we'll keep us updated!Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

another greenhouse in Scotland yay! At the same time as me aswell, No surprise it's windy :) GUMTREE !! Don't waste your money buying one new I got my 6x 8 for £50 just a month ago have a look ps I think that glass is best. There is some good ones in Aberdeen and they don't sell to quickly unlike Central Scotland. Hope it goes we'll keep us updated!Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Horticultural glass will be fragile especially if a child falls against it and may be less stable in high winds also harder to clean the overlaps.

Polycarbonate will be tougher and give a cooler softer environment but will no doubt degrade over time.

Toughened glass will give the best all round light transmission, probably be very secure and will be safe enough to throw a child at (probably) and easy cleaning and last long term. lining with bubble wrap will help with your winters.

Ian.

I went for toughened glass, if it breaks it's supposed to shatter like a windscreen rather than break into jagged shards. I was amazed at the way it (my Elite High Eaves) stood up to all the gales we had at the time. As you actually specify high winds and have kids I think toughened glass would probably be the best option for you for strength and safety. As for assembly, me and a mate put it together over a weekend so not that difficult....OK there might have been a bit of head scratching and swearing going on but apart from that all went well and we're still friends.

I've had both polycarbonate and toughened glass blow out from the same section of greenhouse, its easier to pick up a single piece of polycarbonate than a thousand pieces of glass.

Silicon sealant?

Usually I would have thought though that wind would have to get into a greenhouse before blowing anything out as it did with my mesh topped cloche, I tend to close everything up in high winds.

Ian.

Edited by Ian Salter

Silicon sealant?Usually I would have thought though that wind would have to get into a greenhouse before blowing anything out as it did with my mesh topped cloche, I tend to close everything up in high winds.Ian.

Just held in with clips, greenhouse had a wall close by so the wind sucked out the panes as it accelerated past, same effect as an aeroplane wing.

Got rid of that greenhouse last year, so no more wind problems, with any luck. The glass was blown out on sub-zero day as well so lost a few nepenthes, luckily i had cuttings of some of them.

Edited by manders

If you can afford it I would go for the high ridge version if you intend to grow Sarracenia.

I've got a standard ridge 6x8 and even on the second shelf of standard staging large plants will grow up to the glass. You can put them on the floor but its not as nice for display purposes.