Sign in to follow this  
tuco

utricularia and drosera in brazil!

Hi Tuco,

nice pictures, thanks for showing.

But are you sure about D. communis, to me all the Drosera look like D. viridis. Sometimes these plants are also reddish, perhaps it depends on the different soil composition.

Under my conditions plants grown in dead sphagnum moss are greenish but plants grown in peaty soil tend to be more reddish or even nearly violett.

Look here:

P1130339a-1.jpg

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.
  • Like 1

thanks for comments daniel.

you are right, they are all d. viridis. at the beginning i was a little confused because their colors are so different in so close plants, but my brazilian forum friends help with id. the first 4 pics shows d. viridis in a 4 meters tall gorge along the road with no water running, except when there's rain, it seems that they are exposed to more sunlight too. the other 2 pics shows the plants about 50 meters far growing along a shallow stream in a much more humid place, but with less sunlight. the soil seems to be the same. i notice too that plants that grow in second case are greenish than those grow in first case... the sunlight is important too to plants turn reddish...

thanks and so long.

b.t.w. your plant looks perfect...

Edited by tuco

Wow, Dani, what do you do that all your plants have such nice colors? I think this probably has more to do with your lights than your soil, the pic above is amazing!

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Thanks Tuco, also for the detailed description of the locations.

It´s always interesting to get some information about how the plants grow in nature.

@Fernando, for sure the lights have some effect on the coloration.

But as i already mentioned next to this pot there is a pot with a dead sphagnum/sand mix, these plants are totally green (same location). Same water level and same light intensity. That´s the reason why i suspect that the difference in the soil could be a reason for the different coloration.

But perhaps even the age of the plants is somehow important.

Best regards,

Dani

be my guest, dani. any information you want, including pictures, just ask i send to you....