Sign in to follow this  
19Silverman93

bellii x robcantleyi

anyone else growing this one? I have one on my windowsill but it's reluctant to pitcher for me, any tips for me?

9F34EhQ.jpg

It's growing well enough as is but I'd really like to see some pitcher action from it- should I give it the old coffee treatment or will it not appreciate the nutrient boost?

Guest Olivermurray7373

Here is mine it's much smaller but I think that the key to this plant is a good drainage soil mixture and not to much light!mybusame.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N.Bellii is a Lowlander so this plant may appreciate a warmer more humid condition

N.Bellii is a Lowlander so this plant may appreciate a warmer more humid condition

I might try that, I had expected robc's (exceptionally easy in my experience) highlander genes to counteract the need for too warm a or humid environment but who knows, might be worth a shot.

• Like 1

Yes, the plant isn't quite warm enough.  The discoloration of the older leaves is typically seen in lowlanders during winter.

Yes, the plant isn't quite warm enough.  The discoloration of the older leaves is typically seen in lowlanders during winter.

well, I re-homed it in my terrarium yesterday evening so fingers crossed the warmth will do it some good. I'm so glad I finally got the heating sorted on it now, all my lowlanders are really starting to look much better.

tried mine in highland conditions where it grew ok but is much happier warmer, mine is a good size and pitchers well.

and I have found bright light better for pitchers.

I grow this plant, and wrote about it here. To summarize, I keep it in a terrarium, in long-fiber sphagnum, and it has been doing well. Temps range from 60 - 80, though it's been getting warmer as summer nears. I did have it under the leaves of a larger Nep, which gave me some green pitchers, but I've since moved it out, so it is coloring up under my 4 bulb T5 unit. 

I've been told by a number of growers on this side of the pond, that their experiences with plants not pitchering is usually dependent upon humidity, especially with plants that have lowlander in them. I've had pretty good luck with my plants so far in that new leaves generally mean new pitcher, but I have had fairly high ambient humidity inside anyhow.