How do you guys control mould whilst germinating nepenthes seeds? I ask because i have some bicalcarata, spectabilis, flava and mirabilis seeds in milled sphag moss at the moment for the past 2-3 weeks. I treated the seeds to a hydrogen peroxide spray and did the same with the moss aswell as a blast in the microwave before sowing. i still get tiny amounts of green and white mould, less than the size od a pin head which i have been picking out to stop it spreading too much.

does anyone use sprays etc it would be handy to know.

thanks.

Hi,

After a lot of research on the web regarding this topic, I also tried hydrogen peroxide.

This is the protocol I've designed based on the info I could get (many people mention that they dilute the H2O2 they buy, but they do not provide the concentration of the stock solution... Pretty useless info!). The concentration I state here are final concentration (my stock is 30%).

1.    Soak seeds in 0.15% H2O2 + boiled rain water for 48h.
    2.    Saw them in pots with 3/4 of rinsed perlite (bottom) and 1/4 finely chopped dead sphagnum, boiled quickly. Put pots in tray (mini-greenhouse) with water up to about 3/4 of the height of the pots.
    3.    Spray every other day with 0.3% H2O2 + boiled rain water.

Results: germination rate OK, but mould was appearing on several of my seeds batches...

Now I continue to use steps 1 and 2, but I also spray once with Aliette, 1g/liter as soon as I see anything suspicious.

It is working very well!

So my current protocol is:

1.    Soak seeds in 0.15% H2O2 + boiled rain water for 48h.
    2.    Saw them in small pots with 3/4 of rinsed perlite (bottom) and 1/4 finely chopped dead sphagnum, boiled quickly. Put pots in tray (mini-greenhouse) with water up to about 3/4 of the height of the pots.
    3.    Spray every other day with boiled rain water.

4.    Spray with Aliette 1g/L in case of mould infection.

I use H2O2 too!

i just pour a dilute solution (3%)over seedlings give them a little more

air, then repeat 24hrs

This was reccomended tome by Greg Bourke, you can find more info

on "Hydrponics" forums

What I noticed with 3% H2O2 is that it's pretty strong! The sphagnum and the seeds become white. The seeds I've treated with this concentration did not germinate, but I can not really conclude about this since I did not perform a comparative test with or without 3% H2O2.

Elvis: you mention that you treat seedlings. Did you try on seeds and did you get a good germination rate?

• Like 1

Guest paul y

hi all, I have been using h202 for a loooong time, in the right concentrations in the right applications its a miracle worker, in the wrong applications or strengths and its a plant killer,  it is invaluable for controlling soil pests but can also destroy the bacterial balance of soil as well,  definitive double edged sword. 

the web is a mess with info on this subject though with little in the way of accurate data for cp growers, the concentrations elvis has listed have been my go to conc for a while and I know its safe on many plants and is pretty much a good place to start

paul

• 4 months later...

Just a trick I use now when preparing the chopped dead sphagnum layer: I put the dried LFS in a food processor! Great for lazy people like me, and works perfectly.

Edited by vincent
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I heard that sulfur based fungicide would help with reducing moulds and fungi. I sowed nepenthes seeds too. White fungi attacked and spread. But when I applied the fungicide. They all gone and stopped. But little fungi. Appearing ! But my seeds look good now ! df98d2ec25df215c5fdc7ca4d7e34dac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk