Darlingtonia House April 2014

FredG

For some time now I have been struggling for room in my greenhouses so I took stock of the space I could make available and decided to purchase a small 6ft x 4ft ( 1.8m x 1.2m) polycarbonate greenhouse. This is intended to house my Darlingtonia and the odd Bryophyte and /or Orchid.
One tree had to be felled and my reacquaintance with laying paving slabs and brickwork was required.
The result is quite good, the structure being reassuringly solid.
Ventilation is via the standard roof vent plus I replaced the bottom polycarbonate sheet in the door with wire mesh ( half the door).
For a small greenhouse the staged growing area is quite good. I made staging to cover 20sq ft giving myself an adequate 2ft x 2ft area to stand in. I can stand on both feet at the same time at last. :laugh2:

Here's how the plants look at present.

13924962055_e3b63c2ceb_o.jpg

13901854096_9948bfa2d6_o.jpg

I'm looking forward to flowering, some are visible in the photos and many more are to follow.

• Like 3

Mediun is pure Sphagnum and Sphagnum / perlite mix. It depends how much Sphagnum I have at the time of traying up. The plants don't seem to mind either way.

Trays are flooded when the water level drops to about half way.

The half trays are working a treat, far better than pots.

Guest paul y

that is impressive, cheers fred you have inspired me to try and grow these in moss now, purely because those are some of the best looking darlings I have seen,

any particular tips??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Corky

I separate the youngsters at any time of the year. I just ensure they are well rooted.

I then play Mozart to them for 7 days afterwards so they don't get stressed. :whistle3:

• Like 3