Nepenthes ventricosa x aristolochoides... Lowland ?

Kiwano

Hi everyone,

I have a question for you. I can see on some Internet websites N. ventricosa x aristolochoides classed as a lowland hybrid.

I must confess my scepticism, because everybody knows N. aristolochoides is a real highland specie. The hybridation with N. ventricosa should get a highland hybrid, no ?

What's your opinion ? Do you grow it ? If yes, what are your growing conditions ?

Guest Olivermurray7373

I have this plant and have had it for 6 moths. It is kept in highland (ish) conditions - in my terrarium and grows very vigorously and produces great pitchers, Day temps 20-23 an night 15-17. I also keep the humidity above 80. (The plant is really easy to grow). I am no expert but I think it is more of a highland. Also the plant grows high very quickly and the stem is quite wobbly. Hope this is helpful!6y3y6eta.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is not a lowland. However, it does have the most amazingly high level of heterosis which allows it to remain vigorous in lowland temps for a little while.

It is a strict highlander with amazing heat tolerance.

I have this plant and have had it for 6 moths. It is kept in highland (ish) conditions - in my terrarium and grows very vigorously and produces great pitchers, Day temps 20-23 an night 15-17. I also keep the humidity above 80. (The plant is really easy to grow). I am no expert but I think it is more of a highland. Also the plant grows high very quickly and the stem is quite wobbly. Hope this is helpful!6y3y6eta.jpg Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have this plant, but I do have the N. aristo x (ventricosa x spectabilis) cross. I grow it basically as a windowsill plant (but with artificial light) here in New England. I've found that it is less vigorous than the N. aristo x spectabilis cross, which I have right next to it. 

Back to the topic, though, I believe OP is correct that this is an intermediate-highland plant. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had this plant as well and I grew it in fairly lowland conditions and it grew pretty good. If I remebmer good, the temperatures were 20 degrees of Celsius at night and 28-30 degrees of Celsius in the day.