Pinguicula immaculata

Martin Hingst

Hello,

still not to be seen that often, so I'd like to share some pics of my newest addition here.

13676051554_0e98a72b8d_h.jpg

13675708715_861be8cc9c_h.jpg

13675708155_b6e231ab33_h.jpg

Really a gem in my collection, though tiny - here in my Pinguicula bowl. Compaired to immaculata even the small species like esseriana or ehlersiae look quite big. 

13675749073_c98d685ec6_h.jpg

The white ehlersiae is at its best at the moment, so worth another shot:

13675707525_5287436190_h.jpg

Said to be a tricky beast, I am curiuos how immaculata will stand the conditions in my bowl among the others without extra care. Here an overview - hope you like it

Martin 

13686636453_2044b3a8b6_h.jpg

• Like 5

Hello Martin,

So far, the only pygmy ping I've been able to cultivate is P. gracilis. Everytime I've tried other species, especially reticulata, they fail. Never had any trouble with esseriana, but I also do not consider that one to be a pygmy, just smaller than average (like a shrunken, drier growing version of moranensis)...

I see you're using sand, which is also good for pygmy sundews, so maybe that has something to do with your success? Is it just quartz sand?

Hello Dave,

gracilis is a close relative, the biggest of three similar species. Next one is nivalis, quite a bit smaler, but still about twice the size of immaculata. 

Never had any trouble with gracilis, as easy as esseriana for me. We'll see how the other two get along. Both in the bowl for some days so far.

I use quartz sand for top dressing. Soil is a mix of lava, Seramis, sand, Perlite. In the small bowl some zeolithe as well.

Regards

Martin

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...