Ti§h's CP - 24 OCT : Random update from 3rd week oct

Hi all, I've been keeping Carnivorous Plants since Dec 2012. Till today, April 2014, I have a handful of them. I particular love Dionaea Muscipula. I do have some Drosera and Cephalotus. I always love plants that are small and clump together. I chose small and packed plants secondly because of my very limited space in a small 90 meter² floor space home.

As I started my very first plant from seed, a Dionaea Muscipula. I shall share the video of my very first plant germination and continue to grow for total approxmately 80 days, made into a short clip.

Please enjoy, choose full HD 1080 and watch in full screen for best experience. :)

Edited by tish
  • Like 3

that's brilliant, I admire the dedication and the huge amount of time and effort to produce that clip.

Thanks Paul. You bet, the amount of effort was alot. Camera running 24/7 . Focus always out due to plant growth. Constantly checking the shots. A lot of time spent, but I didn't mind, it was my first time and I was very excited doing this. You can say doing 2 hobbies at the same time - photography and carnivorous planting ;)

Sent from my SM-N9005

Edited by tish

Thats a great piece of time lapse. You can almost visualise the cells dividing.

What was causing the drift in the germination sequence? Was the tripod moving?

• Like 1

Thats a great piece of time lapse. You can almost visualise the cells dividing.What was causing the drift in the germination sequence? Was the tripod moving?

Thanks mantrid. As you see the newly germinated vft was drifting because it germinate in water. Water evaporate and water level drops. When I add water, water level rises. This causes shifting as my camera was pointing on a fix location when water level constantly rises n drops. Hope I answered you.

Sent from my SM-N9005

I would like to share some photos when I was so curious to find out. As I harvest from the Drosera Tokaiensis flower seed pod. I wanted to know how the seeds look like when they are in the pod. This could be done with my equipments and so I had some answers. 

13735792103_91d8d3c22f_h.jpg

13735751075_390ab699a0_h.jpg

13736148594_36094047d6_h.jpg

During the beginning when I was starting my carnivorous planting hobby. I was very curious how seed germination looks like. So you see a video on the first post.

Here are some photos of Dionaea Muscipula and Drosera seed germination.

8331403041_c34b528daf_h.jpg8253289591_2673c3a342_h.jpg8324407458_18ae26b67b_h.jpg8331403383_faf5c0a110_h.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005

• Like 3

Really amazing this macro shots, you use a microscope? because we can see the cells its amazing the focus, im right? :)

Thanks! Nope, I cannot afford a microscope. The gear I am using is a DSLR DX Camera body and DX lens with the assistance of a magnification add on lense to increase the subject.

Nikon D90

Nikkor 85mm Macro f3.5

Raynox magnification add on lense.

There are better lense out there that can do wonders.

Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1–5x Macro lens

• Like 1

I would like to share a video I took sometime ago on a Drosera Burmannii with a fly. However this is not a good example because the fly is too small and thus, the leaf and tentacles wasn't fully optimized. Anyway I hope you enjoy it.

Best views in full hd and full screen.

• Like 1

Thanks corky and arnaudcarni.

It was a quick event, less than 10 hours. If only the fly was bigger, I could have capture a good sequence on how the leaf curl up on the fly. 

Hope I have a better one next time :)

• Like 1

There is 1 Drosera I keep in my office, it's growing very slow. While the other tokaiensis has grow very big, I given many away. 

While all the others were green, this particular one remains small and to the point of .... RED!

Drosera Tokaiensis red anthocyanin overload

13981704466_d2cdb781f3_h.jpg

I would like to share the flowers stalk from Drosera 'Marston Dragon'

This is one of the biggest flower stalk I've ever seen. Althought I don't have many different plants, I see a lot of flowers of Drosera from internet. My Marston Dragon didn't bloom every flower and I think all the flowers didn't bloom (open) fully. I was lucky to still see some nice flowers. 

On another side note. With flowers coming out from the plant. I realized that leaf unfold from the top and flowers unfold from the bottom. Check the last 2 photo to see what I mean.

12657413013_b1ececf3e1_h.jpg

12795089533_49b69aac46_h.jpg

12872835185_4548233252_h.jpg

12929489593_27175aa4a4_h.jpg

This is a leaf from the plant, not a good example, but it unfold upwards

12471711824_f22631f049_h.jpg

The flower stalk unfold downwards - now it's easier for me to know and I will simply cut off all the flower stalk because when it opens up, it's quite messy.

12990184783_c0fbbdc2ad_h.jpg

• Like 1