Hardy aroids

TCurrell

Hi guys,

i enjoy aroids and was wondering which species are hardy enough to grow in a typical uk garden. Can they only be kept in pots or are there any that can be left alone all year? I especially like Arisaema's i have a dracunculus vulgaris doing great on my windowsill but as soon as it flowers it will be going straight outside! Anyway im a bit of a newbie with aroids so any info would be great :)

I'm growing them for the first time this year so I'm not taking any chances yet and mine are all in the greenhouse. Might get a bit braver next year when I've learnt a bit more but for now I don't want to take any chances.

Edited by Gaz

There are lots to choose from, starting with Arums like A. maculatum, A. Italicum. Arisarum proboscideum is also interesting. Dracunculus is completely hardy in the ground (don't grow in a pot, really doesn't like it). Sauromatum venosum survives outside but does not thrive. Arisaema... I've had A. sikokianum survive outside but needs well drained but moisture retentive soil. Most of my Arisaemas are grown in pots and go outside in summer but overwinter frost-free in greenhouse.

• Like 1

I've had Colocasia formosana outside in the ground for the past couple of winters, and even had C. esculenta survive in the pond last winter. Don't know if it's survived this year yet.

I've just ordered C. gaoligongensis which is supposed to be the hardiest species-we shall see!

Also have a couple of Remusatia species which I leave outside and lift into one of the greenhouses for the winter.

Nigel HC

Edited by Nigel H-C
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have grown Arisaemas outside for years

In my "shade garden" i have mounds of soil , i plant the courms at ground level with gravel beneath them

this saves it from sitting in waterlogged winter soil, the mound serves as the "growing area" & protects

the courms from frost

i have had A, tortoisium

A ,speciousium

A Tryphyllum

A, Candidisium

A, Ciliatum

A, costatum growing in my garden for a while, hoping that they coped with the last WET WINTER!!

I have Sauromatum growing I raised beds they seem to like full sun or dappled shade

and seem "bomb-proof" to me

I also have a miniature Typhonium (un-named)which is similar in size to Arisarum P

but has "velvety looking leaves with a red tint" it maybe "Horsefieldii"

one down fall to having Arisaemas in the ground is that they dont always face the right way!!

My "prized" Arisaemas are overwintered in a greenhouse ,in their pots and "plunged" into the garden when they are ready to grow (you can easily rotate the pot to face "forward")