Sign in to follow this  
CephFan

Anyone used CANNA Coco Professional Plus?

Has anyone used Canna Professional plus?

http://www.traffordhydroponics.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/TRAFFORDHYDROPONICSLTD/_CANCPP50/511507/Canna-Coco-Professional-Plus-50-Litre

It is supposed to be buffered and has Trichoderma in it. Is that any good for CPs such as Nepenthes, Sarracenia and Cephalotus?

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by CephFan

If it has Trichoderma I would imagine it would be good for Heliamphora.  

Guest paul y

I have sold well over 1k bags of the stuff and it is by far the cleanest most stable coco on the market, if you were growing chillies etc I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, on cps I have no idea but please trial it and let us know as I can get it free it would be good to know I can use it for cps.

I use it for lots of normal plants and ive found that washing the coco with powerzyme once a week helps keep it clean, same goes with all my orchids, you can take the ec quite high with coco its easy to buffer up or down, decent safety margin in recirc or flood and drain and all of its advantages are irrelevant to cps

regards paul

I use it for lots of normal plants and ive found that washing the coco with powerzyme once a week helps keep it clean, same goes with all my orchids, you can take the ec quite high with coco its easy to buffer up or down, decent safety margin in recirc or flood and drain and all of its advantages are irrelevant to cpsregards paul

That's really beyond my experience Paul. Never come across 'powerzyme'. Is Trichoderma OK for Cephs etc?

I am looking to build a naturalistic planting of Cephs so I don't really want to have to dig it all out again if it starts to get poorly plants.

Do they do a 'plain' version?

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers,

Steve

I have tried and failed to grow Cephalotus in coir, but I have never tried the Canna brand, so I would be very interested to hear how people fare with it.

I have Trichoderma powder that I add to my mixes and have not seen any detrimental effects.

Unfortunately they died. I was using a reputable brand, not the cheap potentially saltwater washed stuff. That is not to say that yours will fail though, as you are looking at a different brand, so maybe you should try a small scale experiment before committing all your plants to it. On the plus side, I have plenty of spare coir for my tortoise table :smile:

I believe that there are other members of the forum who have success with coir.

• Like 1

Guest paul y

Coco decomposes over time, not unlike orchid substrate but much quicker, powerzyme is an enzyme product that breaks down cellulose and when used with coco it prevent big anaerobic clumps of stinky gunk forming and keeps the coco open and with plenty of o2, it effectively turns the waste into sugars the plant can use.
coco dries out quickly its most common use is in run to drain hydro systems where the coco is flooded twice a day, if a plant is in peat and needs water you have a day or so at tops in coco your looking at hours tops, if using pure coco and a tray dries out whilst away for 8hrs you may well lose the plant,
trichoderma are soil born fungi that in some species form symbiotic relationships with some plants roots which according (beyond me if they are right, could be marketing bull) to canna they use it in their soils and cocos as they help your plants grow faster and bigger!?
canna coco is a good coco though.

Unfortunately they died. I was using a reputable brand, not the cheap potentially saltwater washed stuff. That is not to say that yours will fail though, as you are looking at a different brand, so maybe you should try a small scale experiment before committing all your plants to it. On the plus side, I have plenty of spare coir for my tortoise table :smile:

I believe that there are other members of the forum who have success with coir.

cheers for letting us know your results :-) sounds do-able but a bit trickier :-D

Coco decomposes over time, not unlike orchid substrate but much quicker, powerzyme is an enzyme product that breaks down cellulose and when used with coco it prevent big anaerobic clumps of stinky gunk forming and keeps the coco open and with plenty of o2, it effectively turns the waste into sugars the plant can use.

coco dries out quickly its most common use is in run to drain hydro systems where the coco is flooded twice a day, if a plant is in peat and needs water you have a day or so at tops in coco your looking at hours tops, if using pure coco and a tray dries out whilst away for 8hrs you may well lose the plant,

trichoderma are soil born fungi that in some species form symbiotic relationships with some plants roots which according (beyond me if they are right, could be marketing bull) to canna they use it in their soils and cocos as they help your plants grow faster and bigger!?

canna coco is a good coco though.

thank you for the explanation of the powerzyme :-) interesting on the trichoderma, I have come across them before in reading stuff and wondered if they have an effect :-) I use terra canna pro a lot which is very good, I would be perhaps interesting in seeing I could mix the coco with some of the terra pro, mixed with some fine shredded roots perhaps :-) When I get chance I will have a go and post the results :-)

I use it all the time, usually mixed with dried sphagnum and perlite and have not had any problems.

Currently I have Cephalotus Follicularis, (grown from seed in Canna), Sarracenia purpurea and S. Psittacina, various VFT's, Pinguicula Grandiflora, Drosera Platypoda (Tuberous), Heliamphora Heterodoxa x Minor (only purchased this summer) and a Nepenthes Ventrata.

They all seem to do really well growing in a Canna mix.

Regards,

Ian