Heliamphora & other jewels of my highland terrarium

Hey,

Just a quick overview of Utricularia jamesoniana. I really like this gracile epiphytic species and its strange flowers. I always have this feeling something is missing, like the lower part of the flower somehow.

In pot :
16749577567_59701861d0_o.jpg

On xaxim :
16769496800_41b1a152b1_o.jpg

Close ups of the flower :
16334386494_f6e3ccbafb_o.jpg
16772938448_1b62145a4d_o.jpg
16776849158_d4153d8aed_o.jpg

Close up of a runner :
16769758958_0f3ed2a69f_o.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Zlatokrt :wink:. Can't wait yo see yours blooming as well :).

On the 12th of January, the flower stalk was like this (sorry for the bad picture) : https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8669/16080459489_4d8a432f8d_b.jpg

I find it funny that the plant flowers every time at the same period of the year, like U. mannii, whereas they are in an "insulated" terrarium. There is no other light source than the artificial ones, and I would figure the terrarium and the control system buffer any variation of seasonal temperature which, otherwise, could have been responsible for the flowering of the plants. I have no idea whether the pressure or something else (internal clock ?) could play a role in this phenomenon. I should read more about this.

To be honest, I think the sphagnum is not very welcome in this pot like you suggest, but I have been lacking time these past months. So, I should trim the sphagnum out as soon as I have a bit of time to take care of my plants.

For the record, U. subulata is growing in the same pot, and does not disturb U. campbelliana :smile: .

There is no other light source than the artificial ones, and I would figure the terrarium and the control system buffer any variation of seasonal temperature which, otherwise, could have been responsible for the flowering of the plants. I have no idea whether the pressure or something else (internal clock ?) could play a role in this phenomenon. I should read more about this.

Do you vary the temperature/light (mimic seasons) at all?

• Like 1

Do you vary the temperature/light (mimic seasons) at all?

No I don't. Photoperiod is 13h/day, and the temperature is 23-25°C during the day, and around 13-15°C at night. At least, it is what is programmed. Then, since the terrarium is in a flat's vestibule, the seasonal variation of temperature with the outside is quite buffered.

However, there might be a bit of subtle variation, since the flat is slightly but significantly cooler in winter than in summer. That might have an effect on the time it takes for the terrarium to reach and maintain the right temperature over the night for instance.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, how much beauty!!  apparently you have all species of heliamporas from venezuela-guyana o.o.. Beautiful collection, please upload more pics from the queen of the droseras, the roraimae..

Edited by curare

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks you guys !

wow, how much beauty!!  apparently you have all species of heliamporas from venezuela-guyana o.o.. Beautiful collection, please upload more pics from the queen of the droseras, the roraimae..

I wish I have them all. My Drosera roraimae doesn't look good at the moment, I even think I need to check whether it is still alive.

Here are two ageing flowers of Utricularia campbelliana, which seem to have been successfully pollinated :

18047218856_f44472a240_o.jpg

17887465379_0b6df401e0_o.jpg

Thanks, these plants belong to the Xyris genus. The smaller one is often called Xyris sp. Neblina, while I have no idea regarding the bigger one.

These plants grow at the same place as Heliamphora on the tepuis.

Write me down a PM, I will send some Xyris sp. to you in a week or two.

Otherwise, you can find some of these plants on Araflora and on the sales section of this forum from time to time.

I have no longer the Paepalanthus cf. tortilis, but I had and gave some in the past, so you might find growers willing to send a spare to you, as it is quite a weed at some point !

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey,

On 03/12/2015 at 6:10 PM, Morke said:

Hi there! Amazing terrarium. I want that in my living room!

Could you explain me a bit the cooling system?
Thanks in advance

Sorry for not having seen your question earlier. In case, here is an old sketch:

Syst%25C3%25A8me%2520terrarium.jpg.jpg?g

Two pumps, one chiller, and a fan coupled with a heatsink.

Basically, I had the chiller cooling down the temperature of the water. Then, the cold water (ca. 7°C) was pushed in the heatsink to subsequently cool the air down.

On 14/02/2017 at 8:45 PM, snowwy said:

Any updates? :smile:

Thanks for your interest snowwy but unfortunately, not yet. Due to demanding life events, I stopped growing carnivorous plants for a whole year. I started from scratch again last October. I'll introduce my new setup and plants as soon as it is worth it :).