Hamata on a windowsill?

19Silverman93

i'll be following this thread closely for pics of your hamata on arrival as i have been tempted for months to purchase a clone 3 hamata from wistuba.

i'll be following this thread closely for pics of your hamata on arrival as i have been tempted for months to purchase a clone 3 hamata from wistuba.

might be a silly question but why a clone three,i thought there was hardly any difference

I'ts just that all the hamata's that i've seen that made me go "wow" happened to be clone 3. I hear clone 1 and 4 are supposed to be the most vigorous growers though although this is all anecdotal so really doesn't mean much.

• Like 2

I'ts just that all the hamata's that i've seen that made me go "wow" happened to be clone 3. I hear clone 1 and 4 are supposed to be the most vigorous growers though although this is all anecdotal so really doesn't mean much.

well I picked clone 4 so guess I made a good pick there :)

• Like 1

welp, they're on the way, just received dispach confirmation from andreas. how long does it ususally take in the post for his stuff to turn up does anyone know? getting quite excited now :dance4:

Edited by 19Silverman93

Here a baby clone 1. The pitcher is .5 cm. Growed in a terrarium of course. 2e9y9u9a.jpg Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lovely colour there! I just hope mine takes to the windowsill ok, otherwise it's terrarium time

Well, my new baby is here, got it straight in a seal easy bag on my windowsill, the trunc is still quite small so I've decided to try that in one of my bun case mini terraria. Pics to follow whennl I get home from work. I have to say I was very impressed with the strength of the root system on all three plants I received from Andreas, they all look great to me :smile:

• Like 2

Ok, picture time, only a couple unfortunately, as I had to work quickly and nestle it among my other neps. hopefully it'll take to my room and I'll be able to supply more pictures of a settled and happy hamata soon.

whole plant:

iJtPlop.jpg

and a lone pitcher- it's very green, anyone else with a clone 4able to tell me if it retains this colouration?

o7nxoYv.jpg

the raff, ready to go in with my lowlands

5RQtVc8.jpg

and the trunc in the mini bun case

YPqH1A3.jpg

Edited by 19Silverman93
  • Like 1

MORE PICTURES YAY!

I got a new phone today with a far superior camera so I took a couple more pics of the trunc and one of the hamata with it :D

a baby truncata

SDExtSY.jpg

an "eye level" shot

CtXDltw.jpg

and hamata's pitcher

fDF3XY0.jpg

nice,your hamata is quite a bit larger than mine was when it arrived,if mine was anything to go by the pitchers should show some patterns pretty soon

good to know I already have a size advantage :D Hamata is one of those dream plants every nep grower wants to do well with so I'll be hoping and praying it likes it here

Well, my new baby is here, got it straight in a seal easy bag on my windowsill,...

Hopefully, this is placed where it won't get any direct sun. A closed bag in the sun is a recipe for solar-oven-cooked Nep --- I've heard they don't taste too good.

Hopefully, this is placed where it won't get any direct sun. A closed bag in the sun is a recipe for solar-oven-cooked Nep --- I've heard they don't taste too good.

I have left a corner open, which has done ok for the vogelii it's parked next to so far.

Congrats for your new hamata! For me and many others, its the nicest nepenthes ! The spikes on the lid are just spectacular.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Maiden
  • Like 1

Plants that aren't growing when all other conditions are good are being limited by a lack of nutrients. After you fertilize, it will take about 6 weeks to see if it helps as Nepenthes grow rather slowly. You'll see if the new leaves are larger or have a more vibrant color.

just backtracking for a moment, I took your advice Dave, and gave my N. fusca a good blast of coffee. it's like I've shoved a rocket up it's proverbial arse! looks much better and it has one pitcher inflating well and I think another about to start. so ... :thanks:

Edit: here's said pitcher :smile:

qdEvmlK.jpg

I'm well impressed.

Edited by 19Silverman93

I will try coffre with my nepenthes for the first time this week :) Do you know a good 'howto' website?Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

yeah, you're on it :wink: as far as coffee treatment goes the way I understand it is you brew fresh ground coffee in distilled/deionised/RO water, strain the grounds out then let it cool. Next dilute it down a fair bit, I was a bit naughty and scrimped a bit. Didn't do much harm tbh but I shouldn't recommend it. I think by half is the standard but I'm open to corrections here.

Edited by 19Silverman93

just backtracking for a moment, I took your advice Dave, and gave my N. fusca a good blast of coffee. it's like I've shoved a rocket up it's proverbial arse! looks much better and it has one pitcher inflating well and I think another about to start. so ... :thanks:

Thats great man!  I'm so glad this method of fertilizering nepenthes is proving itself year after year.

• Like 1

Thats great man!  I'm so glad this method of fertilizering nepenthes is proving itself year after year.

I've had good results previously with my x ventrata and coffee but I was wary of trying with a less "bombproof" plant. definitely glad I did though.

That is the point of using coffee, it is "soft" on the senstive plants at least those which like generally acidic conditions. For example, Mexican Butterworts and pygmy Drosera do not like coffee, but most other CP's do.