carniflora

Guest paul y

Guest paul y

hi all I am wondering if anyone has any specific info on carniflora in the Netherlands?

specifically working contact details, terms and conditions on trade contracts, minimum unit orders, stocklists etc

if anyone has any sort of contract or contact with these guys can you please reply or pm me

many thanks paul

Guest paul y

I have 9 times over the last three weeks, to multiple addresses, as I cant speak dutch and assuming like most Europeans their grasp of English is far better than English peoples grasp of English I would of assumed to have received a reply by now.

on another note why are there not any big English tc companies? the dutch tc nurseries have a lethal strangle hold on europen plant trade and businesses, why haven't any british companies tried to knock them off their perch? I have been doing a fair bit of research and every garden centre in the uk is spending a lot of money buying these plants direct from Holland

regards paul

Hi Paul,

It's because of the large subsidies offered to the growers by the Dutch government, which over the years has enabled them to sew up the market both in Europe and beyond.

It must be worthwhile judging by the huge number of nurseries you see as soon as you get off of the boat that go on for acres.

Nigel HC

Hi Paul,

It's because of the large subsidies offered to the growers by the Dutch government, which over the years has enabled them to sew up the market both in Europe and beyond.

It must be worthwhile judging by the huge number of nurseries you see as soon as you get off of the boat that go on for acres.

Nigel HC

Not so much subsidies as facilities, specific spatial planning and what we call "Het drieluik" which means triptych of science, education and business. Basically that means that for instance the agri business has a saying in the agricultural education and funds some of the research. Actually it even goes as far that Dutch Agricultural schools don't belong to the deparment of education but to the department of agriculture.

To get back on the question, Carniflora is strictly a wholesale nursery that does most of it's sales through the Flower auction straight to wholesale companies. They very rarely do business with other parties. Because they are flooded with mail by private individuals they often ignore mail and are very selective (and sometimes slow) in answering which is understandable if you know that every Tom, Dick and Harry between Malaga and Moscow that grows CP's mails them about plants and visits. Mostly they only answer if they know you or if they are very sure that someone is representing a large nursery. By the way, their English is indeed fine :yes:

Guest paul y

hi everyone and thanks for the replies, pretty much answers all my questions, I wont be emailing them again.

to marcel sounds like you guys have it pretty much sorted over there, education, backing, funding, research, all sewn up.

unlike not so good old England who at the moment is fading into rightly deserved international obscurity.

thanks again for the info it has helped to narrow my choices which is still progress

regards paul

To get back on the question, Carniflora is strictly a wholesale nursery that does most of it's sales through the Flower auction straight to wholesale companies. They very rarely do business with other parties. Because they are flooded with mail by private individuals they often ignore mail and are very selective (and sometimes slow) in answering which is understandable if you know that every Tom, Dick and Harry between Malaga and Moscow that grows CP's mails them about plants and visits. Mostly they only answer if they know you or if they are very sure that someone is representing a large nursery. By the way, their English is indeed fine :yes:

Perhaps some sort of comment to this effect on their home page would be a polite way of telling people?

Instead of just ignoring them?

• 1 year later...

I am sorry to refloat this. As it seems that I can receive reply from someone close to Carniflora here, I would like to ask how can we (individuals) get the plants that we don't use to see in garden centers (Utricularia, Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Drosera Scorpioides, Drosera Paradoxa...).

Shipping from araflora is certainly expensive, althoug they have great plants, and we would be very glad to see those plants among capensis and dionaeas in our closest garden centers.  :Laie_98:

Edited by Goreneko

I am sorry to refloat this. As it seems that I can receive reply from someone close to Carniflora here, I would like to ask how can we (individuals) get the plants that we don't use to see in garden centers (Utricularia, Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Drosera Scorpioides, Drosera Paradoxa...).

Shipping from araflora is certainly expensive, althoug they have great plants, and we would be very glad to see those plants among capensis and dionaeas in our closest garden centers.  :Laie_98:

If you want the plants directly from Carniflora, you have pretty much only one option. Once every two years they open their doors for outsiders. Then you can buy everything you want.

To make that a bit more clear...The Dutch CPS sometimes can get the owner to agree to have an open day  on a Saturday.We try to do that every 2 or 3 years depending on how we are fixed for events in a particular year. As per policy of the Dutch society we invite members of our sister societies to come and join in the fun. This was last done this year in May...