Ping ID Please

Gaz

Somehow seem to have lost the label and record for this Ping, can anybody help me with an ID please. The colour of the flower is slightly deeper than it appears in the photos.

Thanks for any suggestions.

IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9084.jpg

IMG_9082.jpg

Edited by Gaz

Why, how many places does P. ehlersiae occur at? I'm not aware of more than a couple of locations...

You can't exclude that this species hasn't been introduced from more sites than are today in culture. Someone could have introduced spécimens from another location, this location name could simply have been lost. It's just like cultivars, without a correct traceability, you can't give a cultivar (here a location) name back to a plant.

Kisscool, that doesn't really make much sense to me... What new locations for a species are being distributed without the new locations? Seriously, who is going to travel to Mexico, drive and hike around for days collecting seeds and not bother including the location data??? I know it "could happen", but we should discount real data on the off chance a new location isn't going to be mentioned???

I wasn't talking about new locations (I know people are now much more sensible to location data), but on old locations that were introduced into culture.

The mere fact that it "could happen" as you said is just enough to justify the precautionary principle: without a strict traceability, you cannot give back a location name to a plant that hasn't.

Also, could you assume that this plant was produced by a cutting from the original plant or was it produced by seed made of a crossing of 2 different ecotypes? We have to be cautious and not presume what has been done before.

• Like 2

Actually, I think you're doing a fair amount of presuming... Again, why wouldn't someone label their seedlings?

My presumption is that the main reasons location data is dropped is because it is superfluous or the grower made a mistake. In the cases it is superfluous, the differences are generally easy to see/notice.