A different species?

Roderick-F

Hello, I've noticed what first appeared to be moss growing in my Drosera Aliciae pot. However, upon closer inspection they appeared to be mini sundews. And upon even closer inspection by means of a macro lens, They don't even seem to be the same species? The shape of the leaf seems different to me. Could anyone possibly confirm this?

I have kept my Sundews outside last summer, next to a D. capensis. Both of them have flowered extensively. Also, I live pretty close to an area with D. rotundifolia.

1780038_596619487083801_1137657456_o.jpg

Seedlings at such a small stage hardly ever look much like their mature form.

If you left it next to a flowering capensis you can almost guarantee that's what most of them are , but could be either can't reliably tell the difference yet. Probably some of each. Not impossible, but unlikely any seeds will have blown in from the wild.

or they could have been in the soil, I have opened bags of spag and potted nepenthes up, then put them into tanks (I reharden all of new neps in the assumption they are not) and had U.subulata and D.Burmanni spring up, i'm guessing the seed gets on the soil in the brief period of potting up, you will have to wait until they are older for ID

Those are baby Cape Sundews. You can see how well developed the petiole is and even at that size they appear to have an upright growing stem (not quite sure but it seems like each leaf grown is higher than the previous one).

Edited by Dave Evans

Thanks for the imput, everyone.

Seedlings at such a small stage hardly ever look much like their mature form.

If you left it next to a flowering capensis you can almost guarantee that's what most of them are , but could be either can't reliably tell the difference yet. Probably some of each. Not impossible, but unlikely any seeds will have blown in from the wild.

yeah, some seedlings are shaped like D. Aliciae and others have a thin stem and then a leaf, so it's likely a mix indeed. Going to be fun to sort. Interestingly, there are no seedlings or whatsoever in the capensis pot, which is still right next to it in the same tray.