Some Cephalotus photos , wild location shots

snapperhead51

now its seems safe to put these up as other have been posted, just dont ask where please, you know the answer all ready ,locations will not be posted or emailed or told ,so just be happy with the photos please . may even post a video or two .

some cephs in normal undergrowth of 2 peoples Bay road

P1130917-1.jpg

Coal mine beach ceph

P1130875.jpg

2 people bay road site

P1120334.jpg

P1120329.jpg

P1120325.jpg

P1120322.jpg

P1120320.jpg

P1120317.jpg

P1120314.jpg

P1120309.jpg

that will do for now

• Like 5

Now I'm puzzled. How can the site recover when it no longer exists?

I think he means it may eventually be re-colonised if left alone for a sufficient enough time

Did you watch and listen to the video?

well it's hardly going to be overnight is it? but given enough time it's possible.

Its very hard to even see the amount of damage on this video , you needed to be there if you know what i mean, , if and only if the rest of the soil dose not slide away , the plants that are left , and there are 2 good patches left , will expand, BUT , is what i think will happen, happens and the soil that is extremely just literally hanging on barely , slides away then, its gone for good.

you need to know that under the soil is just coal rock, no roots or grass or trees can penetrate it to stabilize the remains soils, and the water seepage flows on top of the coal rock face , underneath the soil , ,is why it slid off in this storm .

Marcel you remember the fist section of coal mine , there is only may be 20% of the soil left hanging precariously , another storm and it would slide off, if it has not all ready happened, as above that is no plants and very little soil left , the other section past the big rock , remember , the whole soil slid off the rock face , a bit further down to ward to boat ramp , , really is going to happen here to , well over 1/2 of that area where those ceph were is gone, Richard is going past next week will stop there and take some shots to see if it same or worse .

this is the area I'm talking about where the soil has slid off the rock underneath , this is what i feel will happen to the second section sooner than later, i hope not really , its happened here , so is possible just possible it will continuous ,as it has all ready started !. hopefully is stopped for now, new present day photos next week will tell us, so fingers crossed . sorry for all the doom and gloom , but its just a very important site to me and many others , and just feel helpless to not to be able to do any thing !!.

P1130870.jpg

Edited by snapperhead51

Great videos, it is very useful to see some location shots like these.

Interesting to see the subsequent loss of habitat due to natural processes (which makes a change). Are there any plants on the inland side of the cliff edge? Any damp areas/seeps up there?

Also nice to put a voice to a name. Thanks again.

Cheers ,

Steve

Great videos, it is very useful to see some location shots like these.

Interesting to see the subsequent loss of habitat due to natural processes (which makes a change). Are there any plants on the inland side of the cliff edge? Any damp areas/seeps up there?

Also nice to put a voice to a name. Thanks again.

Cheers ,

Steve

there are no cephs other than these around this area, even though the soil , light and other aspects are suitable form some walks I did looking at Tuber drosera , at the top of the cliff and over the road , they are only in this small area ,( they tend to do this a lot ) , that is slowly being eroded away . there are other ceph locations near by , only a few kilometers away as the crow fly's, ,but they are not ones that colour like Coal mine plants .

Thanks John,

It is great to see location shots. Interesting that the precise distribution of the plants can be so tightly limited.

On a macro scale Cephs are off CITES2 with quite a broad general distribution up that stretch of coast but on a micro scale each locality is still pretty delicate.

Cheers,

Steve

there limited to there particular needs to live in there habitat ,is quite specific ,and why they just dont grow any where, , would think that before man stumbled around and made farm land, and crops and towns in these areas , there would have been loads more places they grew in abundance

I wonder if there are any suitable places around the original coal mine beach spot that are stable enough in the long term to consider re-planting? (if that's even a done thing. I don't know I'm only thinking out loud here) I mean if there are plants of pure descent from seed of the site or even actual seed from the few ceph's left there would that even be possible?